Jan 31, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
We are a long ways away from Deron Williams having to make his decision about next season.
He could opt out of the last year of his deal and become a free agent then leave for Dallas or other destinations. He could become a free agent then re-sign with New Jersey (likely because Dwight Howard decided to come to Brooklyn, too). Or, he could pick up that $17.8 million option and play one more season as a Net in Brooklyn.
Williams told the New York Daily News he’s not taking anything off the table.
“Yeah (picking up the option is something I’m considering). I don’t know what I’m going to do,” he told the Daily News. “At the end of the season, I’m going to figure out what’s going on, I’m going to sit down with my agent and look at every option possible.”
This is from our “what else is he going to say?” file.
He likes living in New York and that gives the Nets an edge, but he also loves winning and if the Nets can’t find another star player he may not want to suffer another season like this one in a Nets uniform. He’s from Dallas, they can offer him a max deal (the Nets can offer a larger max as they have his Bird rights).
But right now… Williams doesn’t have to make a decision. He can just sit back and see what cards land on the table then make his play.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy