Jan 31, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
We are a long ways away from Deron Williams having to make his decision about next season.
He could opt out of the last year of his deal and become a free agent then leave for Dallas or other destinations. He could become a free agent then re-sign with New Jersey (likely because Dwight Howard decided to come to Brooklyn, too). Or, he could pick up that $17.8 million option and play one more season as a Net in Brooklyn.
Williams told the New York Daily News he’s not taking anything off the table.
“Yeah (picking up the option is something I’m considering). I don’t know what I’m going to do,” he told the Daily News. “At the end of the season, I’m going to figure out what’s going on, I’m going to sit down with my agent and look at every option possible.”
This is from our “what else is he going to say?” file.
He likes living in New York and that gives the Nets an edge, but he also loves winning and if the Nets can’t find another star player he may not want to suffer another season like this one in a Nets uniform. He’s from Dallas, they can offer him a max deal (the Nets can offer a larger max as they have his Bird rights).
But right now… Williams doesn’t have to make a decision. He can just sit back and see what cards land on the table then make his play.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50