Jan 31, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
We are a long ways away from Deron Williams having to make his decision about next season.
He could opt out of the last year of his deal and become a free agent then leave for Dallas or other destinations. He could become a free agent then re-sign with New Jersey (likely because Dwight Howard decided to come to Brooklyn, too). Or, he could pick up that $17.8 million option and play one more season as a Net in Brooklyn.
Williams told the New York Daily News he’s not taking anything off the table.
“Yeah (picking up the option is something I’m considering). I don’t know what I’m going to do,” he told the Daily News. “At the end of the season, I’m going to figure out what’s going on, I’m going to sit down with my agent and look at every option possible.”
This is from our “what else is he going to say?” file.
He likes living in New York and that gives the Nets an edge, but he also loves winning and if the Nets can’t find another star player he may not want to suffer another season like this one in a Nets uniform. He’s from Dallas, they can offer him a max deal (the Nets can offer a larger max as they have his Bird rights).
But right now… Williams doesn’t have to make a decision. He can just sit back and see what cards land on the table then make his play.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 44
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59