Jan 31, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
We are a long ways away from Deron Williams having to make his decision about next season.
He could opt out of the last year of his deal and become a free agent then leave for Dallas or other destinations. He could become a free agent then re-sign with New Jersey (likely because Dwight Howard decided to come to Brooklyn, too). Or, he could pick up that $17.8 million option and play one more season as a Net in Brooklyn.
Williams told the New York Daily News he’s not taking anything off the table.
“Yeah (picking up the option is something I’m considering). I don’t know what I’m going to do,” he told the Daily News. “At the end of the season, I’m going to figure out what’s going on, I’m going to sit down with my agent and look at every option possible.”
This is from our “what else is he going to say?” file.
He likes living in New York and that gives the Nets an edge, but he also loves winning and if the Nets can’t find another star player he may not want to suffer another season like this one in a Nets uniform. He’s from Dallas, they can offer him a max deal (the Nets can offer a larger max as they have his Bird rights).
But right now… Williams doesn’t have to make a decision. He can just sit back and see what cards land on the table then make his play.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13