Yes, LeBron James did ride his bike to Heat game Sunday

Jan 30, 2012, 8:46 AM EST

lebron-james-bike

If you live in a town that has a marathon — as I do — you know that it snarls traffic. I love what marathons bring to a city (and I’m not just saying that because my wife runs marathons and would beat me up if I said otherwise… well, not completely), there’s a real energy around them that helps bring a city alive. But if you live near the route you had better stay home for a day or plan your transportation well because blocked off streets make getting around a nightmare.

Sunday was the Miami Marathon, but LeBron James couldn’t stay home as the Heat had a home game. Getting around by car was time consuming (to say the least), so he hopped on his bike and rode it the three miles to the arena, as was reported on the telecast on ABC (and by other media).

In case you didn’t believe it, to the right is a photo of LeBron on his custom bike. Which says “King James” on it. Of course it does. (Photo courtesy @jackNruth.) The ride didn’t seem to slow LeBron, who was able to leap small guards — John Lucas — in a single bound.

Good on LeBron for wearing his helmet, setting a proper example for the kids out there. I’m sure he also used proper hand signals before every turn. LeBon is actually into biking and one of his big charity events each year helps bring bikes to the underprivileged in his home town of Akron.

By the way, the marathon was won by a Kenyan (Samuel Malakwen). Bet you didn’t see that coming.

1. latchbeam - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM

“LeBon” …really???

• LilTmac2003 - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

LeBron rose his bike to the stadium?

This was mentioned 40 times during the game, having 3 separate segments of LeBron bike and it even had a full length interview.

2. glink123 - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I noticed his bike was a Cannondale. I’m thinking he’s gotta have an endorsement with them for his Akron fundraiser he does each year. No offense to Cannondale, as they make very nice bikes. But if I’m a twenty-something guy worth a half-billion dollars and I’m shopping for a bike, Cannondale doesn’t immediately come to mind. Awesome product placement though. I looked them up, and I’m seriously thinking about placing an order. They got a million-dollar ad for free Sunday. Nicely done, LBJ.

• nwsalpine - Feb 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Lebron isn’t sponsored by Cannondale he bought a part of ownership. Undisclosed how much he owns but that is why he rides his custom King James Cannondale (in Cavs paint scheme). They make some really nice frames. Although production recently moved overseas to compete. They use to be hand made in the US.

3. gmsalpha - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Kudos for wearing the bike helmet. But that’s a nice looking helmet. If it were one of those goofy yellow hardhats the kids wore back in the 80s, it’d be laughable. But I commend him because he has to be safe, especially when he promotes bicycle riding back home. The last thing he wants or needs is to be called a hypocrite for something like this. Good on you, LeBron.

• southbeachtalent - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Soon there will be a story on how he wasn’t wearing elbow guards….give it some time.

4. kfiz14 - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

He could ride a dick for all I care.

• alldonesmith - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:40 AM

even though I gave this a thumbs down, I do have to admit it made me laugh.

5. tampajoey - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Traded in riding Wade’s coattail for a riding bike.

6. mgscott - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

No TV show to announce he was going to ride his bike to the game ?

7. thetruth702 - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Nobody cares about this. And no bj ody thinks it is cool that lebeon is 8 feet tall and can dunk. Any dunk nate robinson will ever do is better. Not an accomplishment when you that tall and dunk

• southbeachtalent - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM

translation?

8. baddorange - Jan 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Too bad he didn’t fall and break his big mouth.

9. dirtybird2020 - Jan 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

He also rides d-wades d*%k, like southbeachtents mouth writes checks he cant cash! F miami! Thats whats up!

10. dirtybird2020 - Jan 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Lebron also rides D-Wades d*#k, like southbeachtalents mouth writes checks he cant cash! F miami all day!!!

11. ima9er4life - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Don’t let the haters bother u Lebron, someone gotta hate. Do what u need to do to get dat ring, 1 luv

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches