Jan 30, 2012, 8:46 AM EST
If you live in a town that has a marathon — as I do — you know that it snarls traffic. I love what marathons bring to a city (and I’m not just saying that because my wife runs marathons and would beat me up if I said otherwise… well, not completely), there’s a real energy around them that helps bring a city alive. But if you live near the route you had better stay home for a day or plan your transportation well because blocked off streets make getting around a nightmare.
Sunday was the Miami Marathon, but LeBron James couldn’t stay home as the Heat had a home game. Getting around by car was time consuming (to say the least), so he hopped on his bike and rode it the three miles to the arena, as was reported on the telecast on ABC (and by other media).
In case you didn’t believe it, to the right is a photo of LeBron on his custom bike. Which says “King James” on it. Of course it does. (Photo courtesy @jackNruth.) The ride didn’t seem to slow LeBron, who was able to leap small guards — John Lucas — in a single bound.
Good on LeBron for wearing his helmet, setting a proper example for the kids out there. I’m sure he also used proper hand signals before every turn. LeBon is actually into biking and one of his big charity events each year helps bring bikes to the underprivileged in his home town of Akron.
By the way, the marathon was won by a Kenyan (Samuel Malakwen). Bet you didn’t see that coming.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 21
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 11
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 3
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (42)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)