Jan 30, 2012, 8:46 AM EDT
If you live in a town that has a marathon — as I do — you know that it snarls traffic. I love what marathons bring to a city (and I’m not just saying that because my wife runs marathons and would beat me up if I said otherwise… well, not completely), there’s a real energy around them that helps bring a city alive. But if you live near the route you had better stay home for a day or plan your transportation well because blocked off streets make getting around a nightmare.
Sunday was the Miami Marathon, but LeBron James couldn’t stay home as the Heat had a home game. Getting around by car was time consuming (to say the least), so he hopped on his bike and rode it the three miles to the arena, as was reported on the telecast on ABC (and by other media).
In case you didn’t believe it, to the right is a photo of LeBron on his custom bike. Which says “King James” on it. Of course it does. (Photo courtesy @jackNruth.) The ride didn’t seem to slow LeBron, who was able to leap small guards — John Lucas — in a single bound.
Good on LeBron for wearing his helmet, setting a proper example for the kids out there. I’m sure he also used proper hand signals before every turn. LeBon is actually into biking and one of his big charity events each year helps bring bikes to the underprivileged in his home town of Akron.
By the way, the marathon was won by a Kenyan (Samuel Malakwen). Bet you didn’t see that coming.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 0
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 2
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 47
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20