Rose on Howard: “Who wouldn’t want to play with him?”

Jan 30, 2012, 9:54 PM EDT

It’s official, we have a mutual admiration society.

From the “what else was he going to say?” file, we have Derrick Rose returning the favor of Howard’s kind words and singing the praises of  Dwight Howard. And he got in a shoe plug, so well done. Here’s the quote via CSNChicago.com:

“Me and Dwight definitely have a relationship, especially because of adidas. I know our market and the city speaks for itself, if someone was interested to come to the Chicago Bulls. Dwight, he’s a great player. Who wouldn’t want to play with him, but you never know what’s going to happen.”

We’re still a long way from this happening. First, Orlando has to decide they want to trade him. Then they’d have to decide setting up a second Eastern Conference powerhouse for the next five years (at least) was in their interests. And they’d have to like the Bulls trade package better than the Lakers. And… you get the idea.

But the admiration society is in force.

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 30, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Is anyone bothered by aster player openly pining for help from a player under contract with anther team? No, of course not. It’s Derrick Rose. If it was D-Wade, we’d call for a public beheading. But since it’s Rose, it’s just a testament to his will to win. You go DerricK!

• rhetoric1 - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM

relax, he’s just humbly asking for help so he can humbly share the blame next time they humbly lose in the ECF.

he’s just such a great, humble guy!

• sgm405 - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Derrick Rose was asked if he’d like to have Dwight Howard in Chicago. He – like any basketball player with a brain would do – responded by saying yes, he’d like Dwight Howard as a teammate. It’s not like he’s recruiting the guy…just answering a silly question.

• chicitybulls - Jan 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Come on now. I know you both are smarter than that (crossing my fingers). He’s answering a question. He’s not “openly pining” for any one. He didn’t even try to recruit other players last year. He said the same thing about your guy lebron. I dont know why you seem not to like this kid. I know it can’t be because of the SAT thing like you brought up in other posts. The guy does not get into any trouble. He doesn’t show boat after every play/dunk. He accepts the blame and works at his game to improve. Is it the fact that the media likes him and former players respect his demeanor and game? I just dont get it.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 31, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Here’s the reason. For a year and a half, every day, every game, the Heat have been unreasonably skewered for everything they’ve said or done. I’m just giving a little unreasonableness back. Case and point. Rose cries after the game Sunday and he’s applauded for caring so much.. Chris Bosh does the same thing last year and he’s a national joke. Carlos Boozer lies to the face of the blind Cleveland Cavs owner and it’s never spoken of. Lebron did what Lebron did, and he has his jersey burned in the street. Just tired of the ridiculous double standards.

• willardj - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:17 AM

That’s why so many athletes will answer “I’m not gonna comment on that”. We criticize athletes for being bland in interviews and then everytime they say something interesting we twist it into a major story. No wonder why they dislike the media.

• chicitybulls - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Surely you understand that brought a lot of that attention on themselves. I mean they hold that….whatever you wanna call it with fireworks and all and talk about winning not 1, not 2, etc championships, lebron crowns himself the king, and so on. I mean, who does that? Really? They put the spotlight on them so they’re gonna get skewered. You can’t tell me any other free agent that has signed in the history of the league where the team and/or players held something like that. As far as Boozer and Cleveland, I remember him getting killed when he left too. For a long time. But it died down after some years later. Honestly though that’s a pretty lame excuse to put this on Rose and call him out. HE himself has done nothing wrong. Seems to me your beef is really with the media and other fans and should be directed towards them.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 31, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Crowned himself the King at 17 and was beloved for his entire time in Cleveland. The Decision? Of course he should have done it differently, but it’s just a freaking press conference for chrissakes. And it was 20 months ago. The “celebration”. The Heat pulled off a trifecta of signings that was unprecedented. They should gave celebrated. It wasn’t a televised event. It was for the fans who showed up. If course it gets leaked, but in that environment he got carried away. It can’t be a surprise that he felt as if the three of them together could win the championship every year. Did they deserve a little “heat” for it? Sure. Do they deserve what they got? No freaking way.

This Heat team is thrilling to watch every night. They play unselfishly, they face the best their opponents have every game, they showed incredible restraint when men of lesser character would have snapped under the undue duress they faced last year. They won, and lost, with class. They are great in the community. And they seem lime really cool dudes. Whether Rose is a good guy or a bad guy isn’t my point. My point is he’s no different that LBJ, or Wade, or Durant, or Kobe, or anyone else. None deserve unconditional love, but Rose gets it. Our guys are presumed guilty. Just tired of it.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I know we’re going way back, and it’s a different sport’ but since we’re talking Chicago sports and hubris, how about the Bears and the Super Bowl Shuffle? Who does that? They made a video intended for public consumption about going to and winning the SuperBowl during the REGULAR SEASON. It was ridiculous, obviously, but then again so was the “celebration”. Nobody batted an eye when that video came out. But the “celebration”? The reaction was such that you would have thought someone committed a crime against humanity.

2. chicitybulls - Jan 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I think a lot of people have moved on from the Decision thing. Not all, but a lot if not most. The thing now is the fact that he wants to be one of the all time great but chose (in most people’s eyes) as trying to go the easy route and team up with guys. Great ones dont do that. That is the difference between him and Kobe, Durant, Rose. They did not leave to try to join up with someone. You do that when you’re on the downside of your career and havent won anything not when you’re in your prime and want to be “the king”. I dont even put Wade in his category because he didn’t leave. They came to him. There is a difference in that. Yes, they should be happy that got 2 of the biggest free agents on the market and resigned their star. But there’s celebrations and then there’s that superbowl halftime show they put on. That showed disrepect to the other players and teams in the league both past and present when he said…and I quote…”its gone be easy”. It’s not easy to win a championship. Is the reaction they’re getting a little overboard. Probably. But so was their “celebration”. So it goes hand in hand.

And the difference with the Super Bowl Shuffle was they did it at the end of the season, not before the season even started. They were on a roll already and felt they couldn’t be stopped. Flirted with an undefeated season and ultimately completed their quest for the championship. For the record, I wasn’t a fan of that either. I remember in 5th grade the teacher put that on and I didn’t want to hear it and she made me stand in the hall til it was over.

I think you may be a little to close to the situation and cannot see this objectively. You feel that people are attacking your team and you being the fan you are are trying to stand up for them. I can understand that some. But I think if you look objectively I think you’ll see why people feel the way they do.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 31, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Once again, the double standard. Kobe was one foot out the door, to Chicago if I remember correctly, because his team stunk and he didn’t see it changing. The Gasol trade saved the franchise, but before then, Kobe wanted out. He wants help and he’s a competitor.

And as for Rose and Durant, they’re too young to judge. Everything’s great with them because they’re the Men on their teams and they have great futures. But let’s say 6 or 7 years go by. They have no rings. People start saying things like, “they can’t win when it matters”. Now it’s no longer NOT their fault they haven’t won. Now, fair or unfair, it is their fault. It’s a lot of pressure to be under and these guys change.

That being said, you seem like a good guy. I like the Bulls. I love the city of Chicago. And the Eastern Conference Finals are going to be great.

• chicitybulls - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I dont think anybody ever really thought Kobe was going anywhere. He was using his leverage. There was no way Kupchick (sp) was going to let both Shaq and Kobe leave when they still had/have game left.

I cant speak for Durant (and really not for Rose) but I can identify with him more because we both are from the Chi, grew up watching those great Bulls teams and saw arguably the GOAT at his best. We both remember people saying the same thing about Mike and saw him prove them wrong. I dont think anybody can do it by themselves (drives me crazy when dummies dont give Pip his credit) but I just dont see him leaving when he’s in his prime. But time will tell what will happen…for both of them. These 2 are my favorite players in the league. I agree about the ECF though. Hope for a different outcome this time though.

3. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Also. Nobody who lives south of Boca Raton gives a rats ass how Lebron ranks on the all-time list. That conversation bores us. It’s a conversation for all of you to have amongst yourselves. We just want to win the championship. We want our team to rank on the all-time list. Don’t care about the individual thing. Rank Lebron behind all of them. It’s fine with us. Lists are for talk radio gasbags. Flags fly forever.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches