Jan 30, 2012, 3:42 PM EST
A bunch of Lakers fans just read that headline and either rolled their eyes or said, “who?” But this would be a good pickup for them.
No deal is imminent, but the Lakers view Sessions as a candidate who could help their depleted backcourt…
The Lakers have an $8.9 million trade exception, acquired from the Dallas Mavericks for Lamar Odom, to absorb salary. Sessions makes $4.3 million this season and has a player option for $4.6 million for the 2012-13 season. Cleveland is interested in stockpiling draft picks in potential deals, sources said. Several teams have inquired about Sessions lately, front-office sources said.
Sessions is a much better fit for Mike Brown and the Lakers than what they are going with right now in 37-year-old Derek Fisher, Steve Blake (when he’s healthy) and rookies Andrew Goudelock and Darius Morris.
Sessions is quick, can penetrate the lane and likes to pass — he has assisted on about 38 percent of the Cavaliers baskets when he is on the floor this season. He gets most of his offense driving off the pick-and-roll (43 percent of his offensive attempts this season). He gives you better than a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. He is shooting 36 percent from three this season, but has struggled inside the arc and is shooting just 34 percent overall. That’s down from his usual numbers and is something that can rebound. Plus, the Lakers don’t need him to score 20 points a game, they need a guy who can organize the offense, make better post entry passes, break down defenses sometimes off the high pick and roll, run the break and defend a little. Sessions can do that better than the guys they have.
The Wojnarowski report also said the Lakers have looked at Gilbert Arenas and Mo Pete. Sessions is light years ahead of those guys.
Sessions is a solid NBA point guard (his PER this year of 15.4 is basically right at the league average). Which is better than what the Lakers have been getting.
That said, it comes down to what the Cavaliers are asking. It’s not like Sessions is worth a couple first round picks.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)