Jan 30, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
From the Orlando Sentinel’s Josh Robbins:
The Magic are scrambling to find hotel accommodations prior to their game this upcoming Saturday against the Pacers in Indianapolis.
There’s just one problem: There are no hotel rooms available in Indianapolis because Super Bowl XLVI will be played there the following day.
“You guys can comment on that and save me my money,” Van Gundy told reporters, referring to a potential fine from the league if he said something controversial. “But when you come out with the schedule in December and have a game in the Super Bowl city, lodging might be a problem.”
The Magic asked the league if they could simply stay in Orlando and fly to Indianapolis on the day of the game to play the Pacers, but the league shut that down out of the fear that the flight would get delayed somehow and the game would have to be cancelled. Ultimately, the Magic will spend the night before the Pacers game in a hotel in Cincinnati. Not the finest moment for the NBA’s scheduling department, which, while trying to cram 66 games into a truncated schedule, appears to have made a bit of an oversight.
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 1
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 9
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings