Jan 30, 2012, 3:07 PM EST
The Lakers were in Minnesota Sunday night as part of their Grammys road trip (the event that kicks them and the Clippers out of Staples Center for a couple of weeks) and that means Spanish friends and teammates Ricky Rubio and Pau Gasol were hanging out talking in the hall after the game.
Kobe to Rubio and Gasol: “You talking about London?”
Gasol: “Oh yeah.”
Rubio: “You’re gonna be there?”
Rubio: “You know you’re getting the silver medal. You know that.”
Kobe: “[expletive]. I’m taking bets! [laughs] If I win I get the keys of Barcelona.”
Rubio: “I bet what you want.”
Kobe: “I take it!”
Bring it on.
Kobe and Team USA beat Spain in the gold medal game four years ago in Beijing (118-107), with Kobe taking over late. These two teams are favored to meet again (anything else might be a disappointment) but Spain will have what should be a better team with a more mature Rubio and Marc Gasol, plus they have added Serge Ibaka.
And Spain has a little swagger after winning EuroBasket last summer. This is going to be fun.
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 0
- Thursday night NBA grades: Gerald Green just couldn’t seem to miss 2
- After rough shooting night LeBron says he’s “not a big fan” of sleeved jerseys 17
- Spurs get a little revenge, along with season’s signature win in takedown of Heat 23
- Suns’ rookie Alex Len takes to court with #prayforukraine on shoes 18