Jan 30, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Oklahoma City Thunder center Kendrick Perkins doesn’t want to hear anything aboutRussell Westbrook’s shot count or his drop in assists or his occasional arguments with Kevin Durant. The only thing Perkins sees in Westbrook is an All-Star point guard who has helped lead the Thunder to the NBA’s best record.
“He always gets this label of being selfish,” Perkins said. “He’s not that at all. The one thing about Russ is he’s a scoring point guard, and that’s what we need him to be. That’s why this team has been successful because he does what he does.
Perkins makes some interesting points (no pun intended), but two major things work against Westbrook in this argument: First of all, Rose is the more efficient scorer of the two point guards: The reigning MVP’s True Shooting percentage is 55.8% to Westbrook’s 52.4%, and Westbrook turns the ball over more frequently than Rose does. Secondly, Derrick Rose doesn’t have anyone nearly as talented as Kevin Durant, who is one of the most prolific and most efficient scorers in the game, to pass the ball to.
Still, Perkins’ larger argument is probably more right than wrong: Westbrook and Rose are asked to play similar roles for their teams, are both considered franchise players by their teams, and their teams have the best records in their respective conferences. Both players should probably be above nit-picking when the things they’re doing are clearly working for their teams right now.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 10
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 18
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34