Jan 29, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
If only there were a couple big name teams out there looking for a point guard….
Interesting note from Marc Stein of ESPN:
Sources with knowledge of Toronto’s thinking say that the team is not just going to give Calderon away, especially when he’s back to supplying a typically efficient 10.6 points and 8.7 assists nightly, but I’m told that the Raps are indeed open to moving him.
Calderon is playing well, 10.4 points and more than 7 assists per game, he can shoot the three and is an above-average decision maker and playmaker at the point. Teams like the Lakers and Knicks should be drooling over him.
But there are two challenges to getting a deal done.
One is that he is due to make $11 million next season, which means any team that gets him is going to have to take on that salary and have someone the Raptors want back in that price range. They are rebuilding, so that may not be easy.
Second, Stein says that the Raptors would want a point guard back to balance the roster. That makes it hard for the Lakers or Knicks, who wouldn’t be desperate for one if they had a point guard already.
But as the deadline approaches, it’s a name to watch.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Orlando Magic 2
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11