Kevin Durant: “Who cares who’s better, Westbrook or me?”

Jan 28, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT

Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook AP

Kevin Durant honestly doesn’t get why people think he and Russell Westbrook can’t coexist.

They have had some friction, but so has every team that won a title. You think it was a bowl of cherries to practice with Michael Jordan? Durant genuinely could not care less who scores the most points, who gets the accolades, who is the better player, he just wants to win. Sounds corny and like a marketing ploy, but it’s true.

Which brings us to Friday night. Something was eating at Durant. He was confused enough to stop CSNBayArea.com’s Matt Steinmetz out of the blue, a story Steinmetz recounts.

“Hey my man, I’ve got a question for you,” Durant said. “Why does everyone want to talk about who the best player is on our team, whether it’s me or Russell? Why does everyone worry about that?”

Naturally, I was defensive and told Durant that’s not what I was talking about on television.

“I know,” he said. “But you’re in the media so maybe you know why some writers and guys like that do it. I just don’t get it… I mean, we’re on the same team, Russell and me, so what does it matter?” Durant said. “Who cares whether he’s better than me or I’m better than him?”

“Well, you know, the media does that kind of stuff every once in a while,” I said, unabashedly throwing my media brethren under the bus. “You know, it happens here some with Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry.”

Durant nodded.

“Thanks,” Durant said. “It’s just that we’re on the same team, you now? So it doesn’t matter. Who cares?”

1. Reddy - Jan 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Westbrook cares.

• gpatrick15 - Jan 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I think westbrook would rather win as the #2 on the Thunder than lose as a #1 option elsewhere. I honestly do not think it bothers him that Durant’s the #1 option. It’s all media driven bs. Every team has a hierarchy. Westbrook got paid, by accepting the extension he solidified his stance on being the #2. This thunder team is built to compete in both the short and long term, and as long as they can keep the core together by fitting in Harden’s and Ibaka’s deals, they SHOULD rule the west for years to come.

2. gpatrick15 - Jan 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Kevin Durant has to be the most well liked person in the NBA. Consumate teammate, and overall good guy in general. Great on and off the court. I see multiple titles in Durants future, along with a few MVP’s and quite a few more scoring titles.

3. danmarie02 - Jan 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

KD genuinely doesn’t care. But you’re right…Westbrook definitely does!

• raidmagic - Jan 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM

clearly not. He just siged to remain #2 for awhile.

• eureca323 - Jan 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Just because he resigned doesn’t mean he doesn’t care. Money is money and Thunder could offer the most and the most years. And either way he was a restricted FA so Thunder could have matched any offer from anyone. If he went into free agency he likely would have had to sign for less money then the Thunder offered and then the Thunder would have just matched and kept him for less money.

I’m not saying he doesn’t want to be there, but just because he signed an extension doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about who is the #1 on the team. I do agree with danmarie02 Durant doesn’t care and Westbrook does. Durant probably cares at least a little though you have to be somewhat cocky to be that good, but Westbrook definitely cares about it much more as he is much more cocky.

A comparison would be Kobe and Shaq not that KD and Westbrook are anywhere near their league as players and not that their drama as anywhere near each other, but both Kobe and Shaq re-signed at different times over their 8 years together even though they both wanted to be #1 and didnt get a long just because they re-signed doesn’t mean they didn’t have problems. KD and Wesbrook wont ever get to a Kobe and Shaq level in drama though as Kobe and Shaq have like 2 of the biggest egos ever. Kevin Durant seems like a nice lay back dude. Westbrook on the other hand…….

4. jimbroney - Jan 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I care.

5. jimbroney - Jan 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Aggravated I read this article, now I’m gonna be thinking about this all day…again.

6. drew44 - Jan 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Nobody cares

7. pastortodd78 - Jan 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

If Westbrook cares then why did he sign the extension when even some in the OKC media were saying the day before that it was only a 5% chance of getting done. No one actually knows what Westbrook thinks but he did sign the extension and did so in a way that allows them to go after both Harden & Ibaka long term as well.

8. bearsstillsuck - Jan 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Skip Bayless cares.

9. damp1015 - Jan 29, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Westbrook and Durant don’t care. I think alot of people are disgusted that a team like the Thunder are doing so well and with minimal drama. Look at all the “ELITE” teams like the Lakers, Bulls, Heat, Celtics, Magic, Knicks; they all have some drama with player issues.

The whole Thunder team is so Humble about winning, none of them act like they are the top of the West right now. I see alot of winning for these guys, these are the athletes that really make you feel like, “Damn they deserve to be who they are because they know how to handle it”.

10. ferhatiggy - Jan 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Let them to play their basketball!the team is going so strong.But i agree that the team is russel’s team.

11. scoregasmic - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Durant is everything right about the sport of basketball

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches