Jan 28, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT
They have had some friction, but so has every team that won a title. You think it was a bowl of cherries to practice with Michael Jordan? Durant genuinely could not care less who scores the most points, who gets the accolades, who is the better player, he just wants to win. Sounds corny and like a marketing ploy, but it’s true.
Which brings us to Friday night. Something was eating at Durant. He was confused enough to stop CSNBayArea.com’s Matt Steinmetz out of the blue, a story Steinmetz recounts.
“Hey my man, I’ve got a question for you,” Durant said. “Why does everyone want to talk about who the best player is on our team, whether it’s me or Russell? Why does everyone worry about that?”
Naturally, I was defensive and told Durant that’s not what I was talking about on television.
“I know,” he said. “But you’re in the media so maybe you know why some writers and guys like that do it. I just don’t get it… I mean, we’re on the same team, Russell and me, so what does it matter?” Durant said. “Who cares whether he’s better than me or I’m better than him?”
“Well, you know, the media does that kind of stuff every once in a while,” I said, unabashedly throwing my media brethren under the bus. “You know, it happens here some with Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry.”
“Thanks,” Durant said. “It’s just that we’re on the same team, you now? So it doesn’t matter. Who cares?”
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 0
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 3
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 44
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 19
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25