Jan 27, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Metta World Peace has not been as good as Ron Artest was.
He’s shooting is off this season (especially from three, 15.8 percent this year), he was floating around the offense, he wasn’t impacting the game — Mike Brown wanted him to lead the Lakers second unit and instead he’s having the worst year of his career. At least until a fiery performance against the Clippers Wednesday night.
Most disturbing about World Peace this season is his defense — once lock-down it is now pretty pedestrian. Or again, was until the Clipper game. So Metta, what is going on here? He explains to ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“The defense, I got to bring it back,” World Peace said after practice… “I got bored with defense because it was so easy for me to stop people over the years. I got real bored with it. When you’re playing against guys and you’re stopping guys every single time, what else are you going to do [but get bored]? It caught up to me, but this year I’m doing better. This year I’m almost back to where I want to be.”
Most guys I’d question on this, but it’s pretty easy to see World Peace getting bored.
Kobe Bryant has World Peace’s back on this.
“I can relate to that,” Bryant said. “That’s happened to me before as well. That’s human nature sometimes. You have to have [and] you have to find challenges that kind of get you going and keep your energy.”
Kobe has never really had trouble finding ways to motivate himself. World Peace on the other hand…
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16