Jan 27, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Metta World Peace has not been as good as Ron Artest was.
He’s shooting is off this season (especially from three, 15.8 percent this year), he was floating around the offense, he wasn’t impacting the game — Mike Brown wanted him to lead the Lakers second unit and instead he’s having the worst year of his career. At least until a fiery performance against the Clippers Wednesday night.
Most disturbing about World Peace this season is his defense — once lock-down it is now pretty pedestrian. Or again, was until the Clipper game. So Metta, what is going on here? He explains to ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“The defense, I got to bring it back,” World Peace said after practice… “I got bored with defense because it was so easy for me to stop people over the years. I got real bored with it. When you’re playing against guys and you’re stopping guys every single time, what else are you going to do [but get bored]? It caught up to me, but this year I’m doing better. This year I’m almost back to where I want to be.”
Most guys I’d question on this, but it’s pretty easy to see World Peace getting bored.
Kobe Bryant has World Peace’s back on this.
“I can relate to that,” Bryant said. “That’s happened to me before as well. That’s human nature sometimes. You have to have [and] you have to find challenges that kind of get you going and keep your energy.”
Kobe has never really had trouble finding ways to motivate himself. World Peace on the other hand…
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36