Jan 27, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Metta World Peace has not been as good as Ron Artest was.
He’s shooting is off this season (especially from three, 15.8 percent this year), he was floating around the offense, he wasn’t impacting the game — Mike Brown wanted him to lead the Lakers second unit and instead he’s having the worst year of his career. At least until a fiery performance against the Clippers Wednesday night.
Most disturbing about World Peace this season is his defense — once lock-down it is now pretty pedestrian. Or again, was until the Clipper game. So Metta, what is going on here? He explains to ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“The defense, I got to bring it back,” World Peace said after practice… “I got bored with defense because it was so easy for me to stop people over the years. I got real bored with it. When you’re playing against guys and you’re stopping guys every single time, what else are you going to do [but get bored]? It caught up to me, but this year I’m doing better. This year I’m almost back to where I want to be.”
Most guys I’d question on this, but it’s pretty easy to see World Peace getting bored.
Kobe Bryant has World Peace’s back on this.
“I can relate to that,” Bryant said. “That’s happened to me before as well. That’s human nature sometimes. You have to have [and] you have to find challenges that kind of get you going and keep your energy.”
Kobe has never really had trouble finding ways to motivate himself. World Peace on the other hand…
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 0
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31