Jan 27, 2012, 8:08 AM EDT
It is the main reason everyone thinks the Wizards need to get out and run (and they have, actually, they are playing at the third fastest pace in the league). New and interim coach Randy Wittman wants them to run more.
But there is one little catch, he said to CSNWashington.com following the Wizards win Thursday.
“Everybody wants to run and every player you would ever talk to wants to run, but we do have to get in shape to run now,” Wittman said after the 95-78 win over Charlotte Wednesday night at Verizon Center.
“We had 31 points in the first quarter, and I thought we ran out of gas a little in the second quarter. If we want to run, we’ve got to get in here and do extra work if we want to push the ball.”
Wittman wants more defensive pressure farther up the court — you run off our defense — but that end of the court is where guys seem to be resting. Which explains a lot about the Wizards record.
“I thought I was in good enough shape but after he [Wittman] told us to play full-court defense and all this, it was kind of tough, so I’ve got to get on that treadmill,” Nick Young said.
In a regular season with regular practices there might be some things Wittman could do here. He could run some hard practices on off days, get guys to really push themselves. In this packed-in 66 game schedule, his chances to do that are limited.
Just one of the many challenges in Washington.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5