Jan 27, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets and shooting guard Eric Gordon negotiated but could not reach a deal on an extension to his rookie deal.
Reports said he rejected the offer from the Hornets, but Gordon told the Times-Picayune that is not exactly the case.
“It wasn’t that I turned down anything, it works both ways,’’ Gordon said. “Yes, I’ll be restricted, but I am just a basketball player right now and the future is unclear.
“All I can do is worry about coming back at this point to try and help the team win games at the end of the year. It’s not the best situation, but it’s also not the worst. As long as I get back playing that will be the thing.’’
Gordon is good, potentially very good, but not worth a max deal right now. Gordon has played only two games for the Hornets this season and will be out at least another three weeks due to injury. Maybe six weeks. (Not to mention missed 26 games last season.) That injury is a concern as we talk about his next deal.
Gordon will get some healthy offers as a restricted free agent. His payday is coming. But the Hornets made the right call here. Let the market of other teams set his price.
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 1
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 33
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 15
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 36
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'