Jan 27, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony has clearly not been right the last couple games. He is 5-for-21 shooting, has looked sluggish and is battling a sore wrist and ankle.
So he is going to take a couple of games off — Mike D’Antoni told the media at shootaround Friday that Anthony is out for a showdown with the Heat on Friday night followed by the second night of a back-to-back against the Rockets on Saturday. He could return Tuesday against the Pistons.
This is the smart move for the Knicks — they are better with him healthy than the guy that tried to play through everything. For a couple of games run the offense through Amare Stoudemire, with Iman Shumpert and Toney Douglas handling the ball more. And by run the offense I mean run — pick up the tempo and try to play this like D’Antoni’s offense is supposed to go with fast breaks and drag pick-and-rolls early in the clock.
I’m trying to imagine the reaction if the Knicks win these two games… yikes.
Baron Davis is not going to be back for this game and likely does not play Saturday either. Tuesday also is a possibility for him.
What could make this more difficult is Dwyane Wade is expected back on the floor for the Heat Friday for the first time in nine games.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16