Jan 27, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony has clearly not been right the last couple games. He is 5-for-21 shooting, has looked sluggish and is battling a sore wrist and ankle.
So he is going to take a couple of games off — Mike D’Antoni told the media at shootaround Friday that Anthony is out for a showdown with the Heat on Friday night followed by the second night of a back-to-back against the Rockets on Saturday. He could return Tuesday against the Pistons.
This is the smart move for the Knicks — they are better with him healthy than the guy that tried to play through everything. For a couple of games run the offense through Amare Stoudemire, with Iman Shumpert and Toney Douglas handling the ball more. And by run the offense I mean run — pick up the tempo and try to play this like D’Antoni’s offense is supposed to go with fast breaks and drag pick-and-rolls early in the clock.
I’m trying to imagine the reaction if the Knicks win these two games… yikes.
Baron Davis is not going to be back for this game and likely does not play Saturday either. Tuesday also is a possibility for him.
What could make this more difficult is Dwyane Wade is expected back on the floor for the Heat Friday for the first time in nine games.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13