Jan 27, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony has clearly not been right the last couple games. He is 5-for-21 shooting, has looked sluggish and is battling a sore wrist and ankle.
So he is going to take a couple of games off — Mike D’Antoni told the media at shootaround Friday that Anthony is out for a showdown with the Heat on Friday night followed by the second night of a back-to-back against the Rockets on Saturday. He could return Tuesday against the Pistons.
This is the smart move for the Knicks — they are better with him healthy than the guy that tried to play through everything. For a couple of games run the offense through Amare Stoudemire, with Iman Shumpert and Toney Douglas handling the ball more. And by run the offense I mean run — pick up the tempo and try to play this like D’Antoni’s offense is supposed to go with fast breaks and drag pick-and-rolls early in the clock.
I’m trying to imagine the reaction if the Knicks win these two games… yikes.
Baron Davis is not going to be back for this game and likely does not play Saturday either. Tuesday also is a possibility for him.
What could make this more difficult is Dwyane Wade is expected back on the floor for the Heat Friday for the first time in nine games.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 55
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19