Jan 26, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Ricky Rubio is answering the questions on the court.
Which means a lot more people want to ask him questions.
He is an in-demand media request but he handles it — like he handles pressure on the court — with the calm demeanor of a veteran. Probably has something to do with him having played in the highest levels of Spanish basketball since he was 16, having been through the Olympic experience. He is not your normal rookie.
He’s enough of a story that GQ is doing a Q&A with him this month. Here are a few highlights of the Q&A:
On the Timberwolves: “We’re close, it’s just not enough. We’re young, we can do good things, but only if we believe we can, and sometimes in games, we’re like two different teams in the same game. Like in Chicago, in the first quarter we were terrible, and then by the second quarter everything was going well—but we had to recover twenty points in five minutes. We have to play that way from the start.”
Best team he’s faced: “Chicago, in the first quarter in particular. They played really, really well. They didn’t miss any shots. We were able to play better defense as the game went along, but they are so tough, so tough.”
Best point guard he’s faced: “Wow, Derrick Rose. I knew that he was quick, but not that quick. He can move his shot all over the place, he can hit threes—just so tough to guard.”
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 0
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 25
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 62
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6