Jan 26, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
I think Thomas Wolfe was right — you can’t go home again.
Especially if you are LeBron James. Certainly not in the near future. You are not going to returning to the Cavaliers.
At PBT we try to avoid the craziest, most ludicrous rumors out there (Dwight Howard for Amare Stoudemire, for example) and bring you the ones that could, maybe, become reality. But one crazy rumor has generated some buzz, so here it is, via Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio.
Now, there is talk that James is less-than-thrilled with certain aspects of the Heat organization. Sources in Miami say that while James still thoroughly enjoys playing alongside fellow stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, he doesn’t particularly care for the heavy-handed and disciplined style of team president Pat Riley.
James can opt out of his contract at the end of the 2013-14 season, and speculation is he will strongly consider it if Riley remains in his current role. And the team James would be eyeballing most in free agency, say those close to the situation, would be the Cavs.
I call… um… organic male cow generated fertilizer on that.
It’s not happening.
I’m not going to question if the writer was told this by someone, but I will question said source as “close to the situation” or sane. The writer is Cleveland based, so guess where his sources are. Is this the dream scenario for some in Cleveland? Maybe, but most of the city hates LeBron with a white hot passion of a thousand suns, and that includes the Cavaliers owner. Would LeBron like to have the run of the Miami organization like he did Cleveland? Sure, and Pat Riley will not let that happen.
But that is a long, long, long way from LeBron leaving Miami in a couple years — a true contender in the middle of a championship window — to go back to the Cavs. LeBron is going to be with the Heat for a while, he likes playing with his friend Dwyane Wade and winning. Or, look at it this way: Would you rather be young, rich and a superstar in Cleveland or Miami? Exactly.
Brian Windhorst of ESPN, who has followed LeBron since high school, makes a good point — LeBron might finish his career with the Cavs. A decade plus from now maybe the hatchet is buried. Maybe then he is welcomed home. I could see that. But not in couple years. Not even close.
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 6
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 35
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22