Jan 26, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
For one, the Denver Nuggets extended center Kosta Koufos for three years, $9 million, something first reported by Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated. Koufos is only averaging 10 minutes a game for the Nuggets, but he brings real size to the table and they lock up a reliable backup big man at a good price (bigs always get more than you first thing they should).
In other contract extension news and notes.
• New Jersey decided not to extend Brook Lopez. He will be a restricted free agent after this season. Not a shock here, the Nets would like to bring him back but at a lower price than he would ask.
• Orlando decided not to extend Ryan Anderson. Having the best season of his career, but his value as a stretch four in Orlando goes way down if they can’t keep Dwight Howard. But he’s playing his way into a nice payday this year.
• Indiana decided not to extend George Hill and Roy Hibbert. Indiana is going to let the market determine their worth, but they hope to keep both of them this off-season. Hibbert, in particular, is having the best season of his career and is playing himself into a pretty big deal. (If D’Andre Jordan makes $10 million a year….)
• Washington did not extend JaVale McGee. So much talent but so inconsistent and undisciplined. You can’t give him big money right now. Let the market set his price.
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says afterward ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 0
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 2
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games