Jan 26, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
For one, the Denver Nuggets extended center Kosta Koufos for three years, $9 million, something first reported by Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated. Koufos is only averaging 10 minutes a game for the Nuggets, but he brings real size to the table and they lock up a reliable backup big man at a good price (bigs always get more than you first thing they should).
In other contract extension news and notes.
• New Jersey decided not to extend Brook Lopez. He will be a restricted free agent after this season. Not a shock here, the Nets would like to bring him back but at a lower price than he would ask.
• Orlando decided not to extend Ryan Anderson. Having the best season of his career, but his value as a stretch four in Orlando goes way down if they can’t keep Dwight Howard. But he’s playing his way into a nice payday this year.
• Indiana decided not to extend George Hill and Roy Hibbert. Indiana is going to let the market determine their worth, but they hope to keep both of them this off-season. Hibbert, in particular, is having the best season of his career and is playing himself into a pretty big deal. (If D’Andre Jordan makes $10 million a year….)
• Washington did not extend JaVale McGee. So much talent but so inconsistent and undisciplined. You can’t give him big money right now. Let the market set his price.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17