Chris Paul wants Pau Gasol to know he’s not his kid

Jan 26, 2012, 1:27 PM EDT

los-angeles-lakers, Kobe, Chris Paul, Pau Gasol, Clippers Getty Images

There is starting to be a real rivalry is Los Angeles.

It showed up in a little end of game sequence from the Lakers win over the Clippers Wednesday night between Chris Paul and Pau Gasol.

Chris Paul was walking near Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant and all were talking a little when Gasol reached out and rubbed Paul’s head in what is the kind of gesture you can do to friends but did not sit well with Paul at all.

“He touched the top of my head, and I didn’t like that,” said Paul, who nearly landed with the Lakers last month before the NBA squelched the deal. “You know what I mean. I don’t know if Pau’s got kids, but don’t touch my head like I’m one of your kids. I don’t know what his intentions were, like, ‘I’ll treat him like little Chris.’ I don’t know if he’s got kids, but I’m not one of them.”

Gasol, who has no kids, insisted he was misunderstood.

“I’m sorry he felt that way,” the Spanish 7-footer said. “I do that all the time with my teammates. Nothing mean about it.”

Walking off the court Paul and Gasol shared a few words we can’t repeat here.

Real rivalries are born out of real tensions, like the playoffs. This one isn’t there yet. But it’s getting serious.

For years the Clippers thought there was a rivalry but the Lakers looked at the Clippers like their annoying college dorm roommate, not a rival. They shared the same space, but that was about it. The Lakers and Clippers had little in common.

Now, with Blake Griffin and Chris Paul, the Clippers are treading on equal footing on the court with the Lakers. They are tied in the standings atop the Pacific Division after the Lakers win Wednesday night. Which is why things matter — in the West right now 1.5 games separates the three seed Spurs and the 10 seed Rockets. Good teams are going to miss the playoffs out West and seeding is going to matter and go down to the wire. Win the division and you are at least a four seed.

That’s legitimate reason for some passion. Plus after three losses the Lakers were desperate for a win and played like it. Which made the game chippy and fun — there were five technical and an ejection (Josh McRoberts). This felt like a playoff game and it was entertaining. The Lakers want to win another ring this year, but as the teams are built right now the Clippers will be the better team within 12 months. If they are not already.

What we really need is a Hallway Series in these playoffs. That would be fun. That would be the start of a real rivalry.

1. Alohamrhand - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

waaaahhh shut up Paul he didnt do it out of disrespect.

2. cakemixa - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Oh, yeah! It’s not a rivalry until one guy touches another guy on the head.

3. captainwisdom8888 - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM

CP3 is right…the big bird is soft.

4. ihavenonickname - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Good to know Lobe Bryant got into the game tonight.

5. tilllman40 - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Cp3 is a child , all I have

6. Justin - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

“but as the teams are built right now the Clippers will be the better team within a year. If they are not already.”

I don’t have bias towards any team so let me say sample size. We are only 15 games into a 66 game season. That is about the quarter point but the Clippers have had a pretty easy going to start if you look at the schedule. 10 home games vs 5 away games plus in January they had 6 instances of two consecutive days off. Fast forward to February and they have 3 back to backs and and no more than 1 day off until the 22nd. March is even worse.

7. hwatt - Jan 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

“Hallway Series”. Nice one. I was thinking the same thing though, a real playoff series between the two would be hot and it could very well go 7 games

8. toegoat - Jan 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

They got a video of this on wshh its pretty funny, Paul told em he was soft, Kobe tried to intervene and then Paul told Kobe that pau is soft lol funny stuff u gotta watch it

9. toegoat - Jan 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

also, they were arguing and kind of going at it already BEFORE the “head rub” lol

10. drewzducks - Jan 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Didn’t know that Paul and Adrian Beltre were related.

11. bossmangunny - Jan 26, 2012 at 2:31 PM

You would think being a millionaire for playing a game you enjoyed since you were a kid there would be a little be more sportsmanship in nba

• cinnalocks - Jan 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Do you know anything about the history of the NBA? Did you see any of the games from the 80′s? No you could not have.They are playing for money fool. Guys fight on the court since childhood over the game and the want to win. Now they are playing for contracts and it is their last stop before retiring after playing a game they love all their lives and to you it is about sportsmanship? Did you ever watch the Bad Boy Pistons, obviously not. Go find a video of Rick Mahorn busting Isaiah Thomas head open for driving down the lane. Isaiah got 35 stitches and you are talking crap about sportsmanship over some trash talking and a head touch.

• bossmangunny - Jan 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM

well said..I got shut down.Im going to show good sportsmanship and shut up.lol

• raidmagic - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Clearly you don’t have a competitive bone in your body

• bossmangunny - Jan 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I play basketball,love to compete but I let my game speak for me.I’m also not a sore loser when i get beat.

12. detroitcityryda - Jan 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

There is video Paul called him soft n was saying your teammate said it then Kobe came in between them n was like no I didn’t say that and that’s when gasol hit him on the head .u can find it on worldstarhiphop.com .mad funny

13. ogre2010 - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Give Chris his bottle and pacifier

14. southbeachtalent - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Listen, yes Chris is being a little sensitive about it but I wouldn’t like someone patting me on the head. I’m sure Gasol didn’t do it to disrespect, but it is desrespectful.

Another thing that could be at play here is that maybe CP3 and Gasol aren’t cool like that.

15. stillbleedingblue - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Chris Paul sounds like a little baby. Stfu

• southbeachtalent - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

So you wouldn’t mind someone patting you on the head like a puppy? hmm

16. stadix093 - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I love it. It shows that these guys do care as much as fans do sometimes. It’s refreshing. Also, CP3 and Blake Griffin are floppers of epic proportion. The only person worse (which I hate to admit) is D Fish haha.

17. jagwar73 - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Sounds like Chris Paul has a complex. And if I were Gasol, I would ask him if I looked soft when I was averaging 25/12 and dominating the paint when I won my two rings. How many you got Chris? Punk move man, you’re better than that.

18. isujames - Jan 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM

two friends of mine got into a heated couple hr. exchange about that, almost a fight.He told the ither friend he don’t like no one rubbing him/touching him on the top of his head.The other friend/culprit wanted to know why and he replied i don’t need to give you a reason why just don’t do that anymore.This dispute went on for atleast a hour or so.

19. bigsexy2288 - Jan 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Move the sorry ass clippers back t the sports arena they will never ever be able to walk the LAKERS shoes. See those banners in the rafters, slippers still have a long way to go before they are worthy to even hang one at the staples!

20. conjecture101 - Jan 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM

One of these days someone is going to flagrant chris paul and his teammates aren’t going to care.

21. chitownjeff - Jan 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Hey should have knocked him on his azz..you don’t rub a grown mans head.

22. amitko - Jan 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM

It was funny watching CP3 retaliate by rubbing Pau’s head in return.Childish. And calling Pau soft was him asking for something in return.He got it, albeit in a manner that is rare for Pau.

23. opshuns - Jan 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM

The Clippers have some big guys who can run. Why do we have to endure CP3 dribbling which slows down the Clippers? I liked them better with Gordon. I have yet to see a timeout when CP3 isn’t talking as much as the coaches.

Short man mentality?

• mannyfresh209 - Jan 27, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Isn’t Paul 6’3 or something? Hardly short.

• cullenand99 - Jan 29, 2012 at 12:26 AM

No, he’s listed at 6’0 but thats a generous measurement. A few years ago I got his autograph before a game and he was probably about half an inch shorter than me, and at that time I was 6 foot even.

24. bozosforall - Jan 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM

How would he have reacted if the original trade had stood and he was Pau’s teammate…and Pau had rubbed his head in a game? LMAO

• jimeejohnson - Jan 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Excellent!

25. cifaloglio - Jan 27, 2012 at 6:00 AM

I believe what Gasol did to Paul is actually called “milking”. At least that’s what the kids at Lindenwold Middle School call it.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview