Jan 25, 2012, 8:08 AM EDT
Eric Gordon went with a nice leveraged move Tuesday — he went public with the information he had been told that any potential extension to his rookie deal was in the lap of David Stern. (Remember that the league owns the Hornets right now, so Stern gets the final say on these kind of things.) Put the pressure on the league office.
Then late Tuesday night comes this tweet from Marc Spears of Yahoo.
Hornets brass Hugh Weber & Dell Demps have been authorized by NBA to make 4-year contract extension offer to G Eric Gordon, source tells Y!
Good for Gordon, except this leaves one major question: For how much?
Gordon is not a max-deal guy. He’s not Derrick Rose or Russell Wesbrook (who got max deals) or even Kevin Love who should get one. Gordon is good, potentially one of the best shooting guards in the game. But he played just 56 games last year do to a wrist injury and only two games for the Hornets this year due to a knee (which is going to keep him out at least three more weeks). When he was playing his best he was near an All-Star level, but he was not elite like a max player even then. His career high PER of 18.3 is that of a good player, but that is not even All-Star level. He hasn’t proven he can do it over time and stay healthy yet.
So how much to you pay for potential? How much is Gordon worth if not the four-year, $60 million deal? Or, maybe the better question is what does he think he’s worth? Don’t be shocked if the Hornets come in on the low end of the scale because even if he rejects it they can just let the market dictate his worth and match any offer.
But the Hornets may make some kind of offer.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 39
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4