Jan 25, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
Since the Lakers hired Mike Brown in the off-season and abandoned the legendary triangle offense, the team has fallen from 7th to 16th in the league in offensive efficiency. Before Wednesday’s Lakers-Clippers tilt, Brown talked about the Lakers’ offensive struggles, saying that because of the veteran Lakers’ lack of speed, they “have to be an execution team,” saying “we’re a low-post/iso team.”
When asked about the chemistry between Andrew Bynum, who is currently enjoying a career year, and Pau Gasol, whose numbers have been down this season and recently said that he isn’t getting enough touches in the post, Brown said that his budding superstar center is learning how to pass out of double-teams and keep the offense flowing better, saying “it took Tim [Duncan] and Dwight [Howard] a year to get used to post double-teams.
When asked about the Lakers’ abysmal three-point shooting, Brown didn’t seem to think that a lack of good drive-and-kick or post-and-kick passing was the problems, saying “we’ve had some good looks.”
Brown also said that the team had been “a step slow” on rebounds and in transition, saying that they have been “slumping their shoulders” for the first step or two after turnovers when they “have to flat-out sprint as soon as the ball’s turned over.”
When asked about Pau’s concern that he wasn’t getting the ball in the post enough, Brown told reporters that when Gasol ran to the rim in the recent practice, established deep position, and made a short hook, he actually stopped practice and gave Gasol a hug.
The Lakers will have a chance to end their losing streak and right the ship offensively at “home” against the Clippers tonight, who are currently 23rd in defensive efficiency.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 9
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31