Jan 25, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Kyrie Irving has been impressive this season. Sure, he was the No. 1 overall pick for the Cavaliers, so you had a feeling he wasn’t going to suck, but after he spent most of his one year at Duke injured we weren’t totally sure what to expect.
He’s not the explosive athlete that Derrick Rose or John Wall are, but he is so fundamentally sound and smart, he sees the floor so well he is a beast off the pick-and-roll and he is destroying guys in isolation. He sees the floor and reads defenses and plays like a veteran. He can shoot, too — 17.4 points per game on better than 50 percent shooting and 42 percent from three.
Remind you of anyone? It did LeBron James, who spoke to Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida about it.
“He reminds me of (Chris Paul) early in his days, as well,” said James…. “They definitely remind me of each other. Just how in control, and how they think the game. They show that you’re not in like a rookie mindset. You’re trying to put guys in a position to succeed. I’ve been looking forward to going against him. . . . He’s definitely beyond his years as a rookie point guard.”
High praise. And deserved. While Irving has a long way to go to be at that level, there are similarities in their games. Irving can be special, maybe not CP3 exactly, but how many teams wouldn’t take Irving as their point guard right now? The Lakers and Knicks would kill for this kid.
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 0
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 16
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 13
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 37
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger