Jan 24, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT).
Tonight (Tuesday), HBO’s Real Sports will profile the Van Gundy brothers — broadcaster (and former coach Jeff) and current Magic coach Stan. They talk about growing up in a basketball house, coaching against each other, and more. Sure, you have to watch Bryant Gumbel, but it’s worth it. It airs at 10 ET (and a whole bunch of other times during the week).
To help the Miami Heat point guards learn all the team’s plays, coach Erik Spoelstra has given them quarterback-like wristbands. Yes, we are serious.
Boston should follow the model of the Dallas Mavericks as they retool, suggests our own Ira Winderman.
Denver has the deepest bench in the league, which is one of the key reasons they are winning this season. (Notice in here that George Karl uses a plus/minus system to look at five man lineups.)
Taking a closer look at the Knicks offense, with the OG blogger Mike Kurylo.
Byron Scott is no fan of Kyrie Irving’s defense.
Another good list of guys underperforming so far this season.
Amid his knee injury and four games off, Dirk Nowitzki admits he probably shouldn’t have played for Germany in EuroBasket this summer. Especially since they went 0-3 and didn’t even qualify for the pre-Olympic, last chance qualifier tourney.
Jerry Colangelo, head of USA Basketball, talks about the challenge of cutting the Team USA group down to 12 and how good this team will be.
If you missed it over the weekend, here’s a Q&A with David Stern and the Orlando Sentinel, where he talks about how he is good with player movement. Lakers fans just rolled their eyes.
In case you wanted more after seeing a snippet of Kenny Smith’s daughter’s new music video on Inside the NBA on TNT, here is the link to the full thing.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30