Jan 24, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT).
Tonight (Tuesday), HBO’s Real Sports will profile the Van Gundy brothers — broadcaster (and former coach Jeff) and current Magic coach Stan. They talk about growing up in a basketball house, coaching against each other, and more. Sure, you have to watch Bryant Gumbel, but it’s worth it. It airs at 10 ET (and a whole bunch of other times during the week).
To help the Miami Heat point guards learn all the team’s plays, coach Erik Spoelstra has given them quarterback-like wristbands. Yes, we are serious.
Boston should follow the model of the Dallas Mavericks as they retool, suggests our own Ira Winderman.
Denver has the deepest bench in the league, which is one of the key reasons they are winning this season. (Notice in here that George Karl uses a plus/minus system to look at five man lineups.)
Taking a closer look at the Knicks offense, with the OG blogger Mike Kurylo.
Byron Scott is no fan of Kyrie Irving’s defense.
Another good list of guys underperforming so far this season.
Amid his knee injury and four games off, Dirk Nowitzki admits he probably shouldn’t have played for Germany in EuroBasket this summer. Especially since they went 0-3 and didn’t even qualify for the pre-Olympic, last chance qualifier tourney.
Jerry Colangelo, head of USA Basketball, talks about the challenge of cutting the Team USA group down to 12 and how good this team will be.
If you missed it over the weekend, here’s a Q&A with David Stern and the Orlando Sentinel, where he talks about how he is good with player movement. Lakers fans just rolled their eyes.
In case you wanted more after seeing a snippet of Kenny Smith’s daughter’s new music video on Inside the NBA on TNT, here is the link to the full thing.
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 9
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 2
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 45
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 28
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 21
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (71)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay