Jan 24, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
The Chicago Bulls have no one player who brings everything that Luol Deng does to the table, and now they are going to be without their glue guy “for a while.”
Deng spoke to the media on Tuesday and confirmed he has a torn ligament in his wrist, the same wrist injury now on his left hand that he had on his right earlier in his career. That injury required surgery, but the Bulls are not going there. Yet. Just a lot of rest.
Here are some tweets from Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com on what was said at Wednesday’s practice.
Lu has torn ligament in his left wrist. Won’t have surgery. Week-to-week. “Out for a while,” according to (coach Tom Thibodeau) …. Lu says the pain has decreased, but his return will be based on how much he can manage it. Says he didn’t participate today
There is no reason for Deng to go Kobe Bryant on this, getting healthy is what helps the Bulls the most.
Deng brings versatility to the Bulls lineup that will be missed. He is second on the team in scoring (15.9 points per game), third in rebounding (7.5 per game), he can shoot the three (34 percent) or drive to the rim. Also, he is long and active on defense.
Look what his teammates told CSNChicago.com.
“It’s tough. Lu’s really a glue guy, somebody who really does everything for us,” said Joakim Noah. “He’s going to be missed, but we’ve got to look at the big picture, but he’s got to be healthy when it matters.”
“Well, it’s tough. The schedule’s been crazy. You can see all the injuries around the NBA. But the thing about us, guys are really stepping up,” (Richard Hamilton) explained. “Guys are very in tune to what Coach Thibs wants us to do, so when one guys goes down, the next guy steps up and we’re all happy for that. When you’ve got players really caring for each other and when guys get their name called, they’re ready to play.”
Ronnie Brewer will start at the three, and Richard Hamilton is going to have to pick up more of the scoring load as he did Monday night. The Bulls have the team to win a lot of games without Deng. And as Noah said, when they really need him is later in the season. And they need him healthy. But that could be a while.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (38)
- Jason Kidd fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers (37)