Jan 24, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
I’m going to go with what Kevin Love says about the current state of his extension.
A report came from Pioneer Press Tuesday night that Love and the Timberwolves had agreed to a four-year, $62 million extension to his rookie deal. That is reportedly about what the Timberwolves had been offering, but short of the extra year and roughly $18 million max deal that Love wants.
Then Love tweeted this.
If you read it on the Internet it must be true right? #sarcasm
I’m going with Love on this, I think he’d know. Also, other outlets such as ESPN are reporting that the two sides are still talking.
This impasse has been going on for a while — Minny offering four years, roughly $60 million, Love wanting five years, $80 million (the exact figures of a max deal would not be known until this year’s revenue is official for the league).
Minnesota is trying to lowball and save a few bucks on their franchise player and the face of the team in the community. Whether this is coming from GM David Kahn or owner Glen Taylor isn’t known, but it’s stupid wherever it is coming from. Love deserves the max, he’s earned it.
Minnesota is building something with Love and Ricky Rubio as the cornerstones. But the only way you really top off a great team is with some free agent role players to fill in the gaps — and it’s hard enough to get top role players to Minnesota (over bigger market, warmer climate stops) without everyone thinking you’re cheap, too.
The thinking must be that Love (like most guys after their rookie deals) wants his first big payday and will take what is offered to get the bucks. If no deal is reached by midnight Eastern on Wednesday night, Love will get a qualifying offer from Minnesota, which means they can match any offer from another team (which under the new rules can’t be more than four years, about $60 million anyway).
But if Love signs the qualifying offer and is willing to pay for $6.1 million next season (less than half the Minny offer) he could leave after next season as a free agent. And set The Wolves back. To post-Garnett like days. Big risk.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 28
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25