Jan 24, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
I’m going to go with what Kevin Love says about the current state of his extension.
A report came from Pioneer Press Tuesday night that Love and the Timberwolves had agreed to a four-year, $62 million extension to his rookie deal. That is reportedly about what the Timberwolves had been offering, but short of the extra year and roughly $18 million max deal that Love wants.
Then Love tweeted this.
If you read it on the Internet it must be true right? #sarcasm
I’m going with Love on this, I think he’d know. Also, other outlets such as ESPN are reporting that the two sides are still talking.
This impasse has been going on for a while — Minny offering four years, roughly $60 million, Love wanting five years, $80 million (the exact figures of a max deal would not be known until this year’s revenue is official for the league).
Minnesota is trying to lowball and save a few bucks on their franchise player and the face of the team in the community. Whether this is coming from GM David Kahn or owner Glen Taylor isn’t known, but it’s stupid wherever it is coming from. Love deserves the max, he’s earned it.
Minnesota is building something with Love and Ricky Rubio as the cornerstones. But the only way you really top off a great team is with some free agent role players to fill in the gaps — and it’s hard enough to get top role players to Minnesota (over bigger market, warmer climate stops) without everyone thinking you’re cheap, too.
The thinking must be that Love (like most guys after their rookie deals) wants his first big payday and will take what is offered to get the bucks. If no deal is reached by midnight Eastern on Wednesday night, Love will get a qualifying offer from Minnesota, which means they can match any offer from another team (which under the new rules can’t be more than four years, about $60 million anyway).
But if Love signs the qualifying offer and is willing to pay for $6.1 million next season (less than half the Minny offer) he could leave after next season as a free agent. And set The Wolves back. To post-Garnett like days. Big risk.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona