Jan 24, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The fine folks in Dallas continue to say it’s not his knee, it’s conditioning and strength issues that have Dirk Nowitzki out for a week. Not sure I buy it, but that’s what they are selling.
But this little note from ESPNDallas.com turned our head — he could be out longer.
Depending upon the progress he makes during the week, Nowitzki could be held out longer. He missed nine games last season after spraining the same knee and the Mavs went 2-7 in his absence.
Dallas is 2-0 this year without Nowitzki, thanks in part to Shawn Marion going off for 29 on his old team (Phoenix) Monday. But their success is not sustainable without him.
Nowitzki has a sore knee but Dallas officials say this rest is bigger than that. Here is Cuban to ESPN.
“It’s not about his knee. His knee wasn’t feeling well, but that’s a symptom of everything else,” Cuban said prior to Monday’s game with the Phoenix Suns, the second of four games Nowitzki is expected to miss. “So, it’s not like there’s some problem. Even if it was his head, we would still do the exact same thing.
“There’s nothing specifically wrong. Dirk has a process to get ready. You mess with the process; he just didn’t feel right,” Cuban said. “It’s not just Dirk, it’s other guys, too. It’s a first for us in dealing with a lockout.”
So, it’s not just the knee, it’s process. Okay.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 14
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 24
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24