Jan 24, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The fine folks in Dallas continue to say it’s not his knee, it’s conditioning and strength issues that have Dirk Nowitzki out for a week. Not sure I buy it, but that’s what they are selling.
But this little note from ESPNDallas.com turned our head — he could be out longer.
Depending upon the progress he makes during the week, Nowitzki could be held out longer. He missed nine games last season after spraining the same knee and the Mavs went 2-7 in his absence.
Dallas is 2-0 this year without Nowitzki, thanks in part to Shawn Marion going off for 29 on his old team (Phoenix) Monday. But their success is not sustainable without him.
Nowitzki has a sore knee but Dallas officials say this rest is bigger than that. Here is Cuban to ESPN.
“It’s not about his knee. His knee wasn’t feeling well, but that’s a symptom of everything else,” Cuban said prior to Monday’s game with the Phoenix Suns, the second of four games Nowitzki is expected to miss. “So, it’s not like there’s some problem. Even if it was his head, we would still do the exact same thing.
“There’s nothing specifically wrong. Dirk has a process to get ready. You mess with the process; he just didn’t feel right,” Cuban said. “It’s not just Dirk, it’s other guys, too. It’s a first for us in dealing with a lockout.”
So, it’s not just the knee, it’s process. Okay.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 40
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 39
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6