Jan 24, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The fine folks in Dallas continue to say it’s not his knee, it’s conditioning and strength issues that have Dirk Nowitzki out for a week. Not sure I buy it, but that’s what they are selling.
But this little note from ESPNDallas.com turned our head — he could be out longer.
Depending upon the progress he makes during the week, Nowitzki could be held out longer. He missed nine games last season after spraining the same knee and the Mavs went 2-7 in his absence.
Dallas is 2-0 this year without Nowitzki, thanks in part to Shawn Marion going off for 29 on his old team (Phoenix) Monday. But their success is not sustainable without him.
Nowitzki has a sore knee but Dallas officials say this rest is bigger than that. Here is Cuban to ESPN.
“It’s not about his knee. His knee wasn’t feeling well, but that’s a symptom of everything else,” Cuban said prior to Monday’s game with the Phoenix Suns, the second of four games Nowitzki is expected to miss. “So, it’s not like there’s some problem. Even if it was his head, we would still do the exact same thing.
“There’s nothing specifically wrong. Dirk has a process to get ready. You mess with the process; he just didn’t feel right,” Cuban said. “It’s not just Dirk, it’s other guys, too. It’s a first for us in dealing with a lockout.”
So, it’s not just the knee, it’s process. Okay.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 3
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 27
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 47
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 84
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13