Cuban admits he didn’t think Steve Nash would last this long

Jan 24, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

Steve Nash Getty Images

It worked out for Dallas — they let Steve Nash walk, breaking up a pairing with Dirk Nowitzki that created some of the best offenses the NBA has ever seen, but they still got their title last year.

Which is probably why he was comfortable enough to admit that he made a mistake — he thought Nash’s body would give out and he’d be out of the league, not still an elite point guard now.

Here is the quote from the Star-Telegram

(via SLAM), made before the Mavericks beat the Suns (thanks to Shawn Marion).

“I’ll say it now, if you would have told me Steve would have been playing eight years later I would have bet any amount of money you’d be wrong,’’ Cuban said. “But some guys do a great job of taking care of their bodies and taking advantage of the new technology that‘s come along.

“The thing about Steve is his discipline… I knew he was disciplined, but I thought he would fall apart before it mattered,’’ Cuban said. “All the advice I got from everybody we had was that he was going to fall apart. He proved us wrong — and more power to him.

“I give him a lot of credit. He proved me definitely wrong.’’

He’s proved a lot of people wrong. But I still miss watching those Mavericks teams. That was fun.

1. worldbfree4me - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:32 PM

No comment!

2. philiplewis1 - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM

It’s not too late Mark. Go after him to replace J Kidd. Pair him up with Nowitzski and Dwight Howard and Shawn Marion.

3. jason9696 - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Steve Nash is probably the ugliest man in sports. Get a haircut at least you cheap a$$ Canuck.

4. detlefschrempfriedrice - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Really?? Of all the things you could have talked about in this post you choose to give your opinion on his looks and hair, not even saying the ugliest in basketball, you went to “ugliest in all of sports,” if he got a haircut would that make him more attractive?

5. delius1967 - Jan 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I love watching Nash play, and I admire the man personally. But I wonder if Dallas would have the title had he stayed. Both he and Nowitzki got better after they split up, and you can say that they might have done so anyway as part of their maturation as players, but I’m not sure that’s true.

Having said that, they have matured as players, so if he were to go back to Dallas I would love it. I’m holding my breath against where Howard lands; Nash, Nowitzki and Howard would be a trio better than anything in the league. Certainly more effective than James, Bosh, and Wade.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches