Jan 23, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT
Derrick Rose will be back on the court with his Chicago Bulls Monday, slicing and dicing what passes for the New Jersey Nets defense.
He’d missed five games with a sprained big toe, essentially a turf toe injury by any other name. He tested it out at shootaround and then later in warmups and decided he was good enough to go tonight.
But it is he said Monday afternoon should make Bulls fans a little nervous — that this injury was going to likely linger all season long. Here’s the quote, via Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“I know that it’s never going to be right this year, but it’s just something I’ve just got to play through,” he said. “It’s my decision. If I choose to go out there and play, it’s up to me.
The Bulls can do okay without him for a stretch — they were 4-1 this time around while he sat. But there may be other times, other stretches this season (especially as the playoffs near) where prudence may dictate resting him for a game or two, let the foot heal somewhat and get back closer to normal.
The Bulls are good, but they are only title contenders if Rose is his explosive self. Which is why the admission he expects this injury to linger all season is a little concerning. Not yet reason for actual worry, Bulls fans, but concerning.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona