Report: Anthony, Stoudemire to meet, discuss Knicks woes

Jan 23, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT

New Jersey Nets v New York Knicks Getty Images

Amar’e Stoudemire was an afterthought in the Knicks offense for much of the second half against the Nuggets — he had just three shot attempts through the final 24 minutes and two overtimes. Carmelo Anthony put up 20 in that same time. In a game that became the Knicks sixth straight loss. Coincidence?

Anthony acknowledged after the game that the Knicks offense is out of balance, and now the New York Post reports that Anthony and Stoudemire are going to sit down and talk.

It’s a meeting that is overdue and will have more impact than anything coach Mike D’Antoni could possibly say to the two.

“We as a team need to do a better job getting Amar’e the ball,’’ Anthony admitted. “I have the ball in my hands. Maybe it’s on me. Maybe I have to give him the ball a little more, help him out with that. We’ll talk probably [today] and try to figure it out together. If I’m doing too much, I want him to tell me. I want the guys on the team to tell me if I’m doing too much.’’

According to a source familiar with the situation, Anthony has been too obsessed with his points and Stoudemire is too concerned with Anthony taking over the team. There’s also too much finger-pointing, according to the source.

It’s easy to say he is doing too much, but it’s more than that. Anthony is not the guy who should be charged with organizing the Knicks offense, but it’s fallen to him by default as the Knicks have traded away all their true point guards to get Anthony and Tyson Chandler on the roster.

It is why the return of Baron Davis to the Knicks practice court on Monday is so important. He may still be a ways away from playing, and I am far from Baron’s biggest backer anymore, but he would be an upgrade for them.

Stoudemire was at his best when he ferociously attacked the rim rolling off a pick with the ball in Steve Nash’s hands. That doesn’t work with Anthony or Toney Douglas or Iman Shumpert. It might with Davis. He will be inconsistent and lose focus for stretches — trust us, we’ve seen a lot of Baron Davis up close — but he still is better than anything New York has on the roster. He is a start in the right direction.

As is Stoudemire and Anthony sitting down and talking. But all this may still not be enough.

1. cakemixa - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Our daily “whats wrong with the Knicks” story! Yay!

2. geraldthecat - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM

How long did it take them to get back in a salary cap mess?

3. noirad - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I’m sure the conversation will be much like this:
    Stoudemire: Melo what’s going on?
    Melo: Nothing much, similar to our defense. You?
    Stoudemire: I miss Nash.
    Melo: He doesn’t play defense either.
    Stoudemire: I know.

• cidminion - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Snap

4. deadeyedesign23 - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Can someone explain to me why they haven’t dealt for Devin Harris? Is it a luxury tax issue? That’s the only thing I could think of.

• sensiblebuc - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM

That’s because Devin Harris is 100% Grade A GARBAGE this year. EARL WATSON is outplaying him!

8 pts 4.5. assists and 1.4 rebs with an 11 PER. That’s TERRIBLE bro.

• eureca323 - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM

How would they trade for Devin Harris? The only contracts that are enough to match the salary of Harris are Melo if Utah adds more salary, Amare if Utah adds more salary, and Chandler who cant be traded for 3 months from when he signed his contract with the Knicks. The only other contracts Knicks have are all around the 1 million mark which is far from matching Harris’s 9.3 million. And im sure the Knicks rather keep Chandler then get Harris for him.

5. michflaguy - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM

If they truly want to get to the root of the problems, perhaps they should just sit in front of a mirror…

• LPad - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Yes, because it’s their fault that the team thought Douglas was capable of being a competent point guard, Bibby is almost 40, and Davis has a bad back.

6. tbizzlebrady12 - Jan 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I was very supportive in getting Melo to NY Knicks, but now i hate it, he does nothing buy dribble 3 times and shoot and then he wants to bitch about how the blame is all on him. HEY MELO PASS THE DAM BALL. I want to see some feedback on this trade proposal i would accept. Trade melo and fields/douglas for Deron Williams and the rookie brooks. Like if you agree or dislike. i believe that is a fair trade and makes the knicks more complete

7. diablito0402 - Jan 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Its funny, nuggets have a 700 winning percentage since trading melo. New york got exactly who they wanted melo and amare,, good luck for the next 10 years with the cap problems.

8. djflav303 - Jan 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Denver is laughing all the way to the bank! I thought there was hustlers in NY, but u just got hustled. Keep up the bad work u idiots!

9. protectthishouse54 - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Yeah, Carmelo. Have your people contact Amare’s people and block off some time to “meet.” Maybe grab lunch at the Capital Grille. I hear the chicken francese is fantastic.

Unbelievable! Shouldn’t these idiots be “meeting” every day?!?!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches