Jan 21, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
In this era where a majority of the NBA’s star players seem to be friendly with one another in some capacity off the court, a regular season basketball game that achieves a certain level of chippiness is a welcome surprise. So with that in mind, we bring you these selected highlights from Utah’s close loss to the defending champion Mavericks on Thursday.
In the clip above, you will first see Derrick Favors hold onto the ball a little too long after he is whistled for an offensive foul, catching Dirk Nowitzki above the shoulders with the right hand. Nowitzki is a lover and not a fighter, so his passive-aggressive response is to slap the ball out of Favors’ hands.
Favors allows this to happen here, and his teammate, Earl Watson, is the one who has to come to the rescue with the retaliatory slap of the ball once Dirk had gained possession.
On the next trip down, Favors is whistled for the cheap foul on the screen up top as the refs try to gain control of the situation. Favors, who is very likely more upset that he allowed Dirk to treat him like that on the previous play than he is at this particular call, takes the ball and heaves it into the crowd with an underhand toss.
Favors was ejected at the time (which seems a bit excessive), and was later fined $25,000 for the incident, according to an official release from the league.
Had favors simply responded on the previous possession, he likely would have stayed in the game and avoided the fine. But it’s only his second year in the league. One would hope that he’ll learn.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 11
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 9
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record