Jan 21, 2012, 7:12 PM EDT
Just prior to Dallas’ game against New Orleans, Mavs coach Rick Carlisle informed the media that Dirk Nowitzki would miss four straight games to work on “conditioning issues” according to multiple sources.
The official listing is that Nowitzki’s sore right knee is causing the time out. Conditioning has been an issue for the Mavericks all season, as they struggle with both being an older team in a lockout-shortened season that played into June, and hangover from last season’s championship celebration. Lamar Odom has been notably out of shape, but no one on the Mavericks outside of Ian Mahinmi has really seemed sharp. But Nowitzki has clearly been bothered by the knee and sporadic time off hasn’t helped it. Hence the “conditioning” part.
The Mavericks seem to be in search of a reset on their season. If they can get Nowitzki healthy and get Lamar Odom involved mentally and physically, things could turn, the team could gel, and be dangerous in April. But trying to struggle through a season in which so much has gone against them and wearing out Nowitzki makes no sense. The competition also factors into this, with Dallas playing New Orleans, Phoenix, Minnesota, and Utah during that stretch. Those are some decent teams, but it’s not an onslaught of Western powerhouses. Hopefully Nowitzki’s knee will improve and he’ll get back to Dirk-like condition.
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 0
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 6
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 5
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm