Jan 20, 2012, 9:04 AM EST
Only one thing — a potential Dwight Howard trade to the Lakers — is going to get talked about more than how lost the Lakers offense looks in the next 24 hours. With Los Angeles headed into Orlando for a Friday showdown, let’s do a trade update:
The Lakers and Orlando haven’t had trade talks in “a while,” according to a person familiar with the teams’ thinking, putting a damper on proponents of a Bynum-for-Howard deal…. The trade deadline isn’t until March 15, but for now there’s no momentum on a deal between the Lakers and Magic.
As we have been saying for some time now, Orlando is still looking for ways to keep Howard in house, and their 10-3 start has fueled that hope. It’s not likely to work — unless you think this Ryan Anderson led surge can take them deep into the playoffs — but the Magic are not going to move Howard before the All-Star Game (Feb. 26) and maybe not after.
But while their teams may not be talking, Kobe and Howard are, the Times adds.
Kobe Bryant has had at least one in-depth phone conversation with Howard recently, even discussing how Howard might fit in with the Lakers’ scheme.
One person with knowledge of the conversation said Howard came away feeling as if he wouldn’t be the Lakers’ top option, for obvious reasons. It’s Bryant’s team.
Still that may be better than the Magic’s other options. The Nets offer centers around Brook Lopez and picks, but Howard is reportedly soured on that as the Nets are not a playoff team this season (and even a Howard trade would not be in time to pull them into the top eight in the East). The Dallas Mavericks are on Howard’s list but they don’t have good trade assets either, that likely would be an off-season move if it were to happen. The Clippers popped up as a rumor lately but a package based around D’Andre Jordan and Mo Williams is less attractive than the Nets offer.
Maybe another suitor will jump in with a “rent-a-Howard” offer the Magic like (a team where Howard may not sign an extension that is willing to take the risk). Or, maybe Orlando just keeps him.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)