Jan 20, 2012, 9:04 AM EDT
Only one thing — a potential Dwight Howard trade to the Lakers — is going to get talked about more than how lost the Lakers offense looks in the next 24 hours. With Los Angeles headed into Orlando for a Friday showdown, let’s do a trade update:
The Lakers and Orlando haven’t had trade talks in “a while,” according to a person familiar with the teams’ thinking, putting a damper on proponents of a Bynum-for-Howard deal…. The trade deadline isn’t until March 15, but for now there’s no momentum on a deal between the Lakers and Magic.
As we have been saying for some time now, Orlando is still looking for ways to keep Howard in house, and their 10-3 start has fueled that hope. It’s not likely to work — unless you think this Ryan Anderson led surge can take them deep into the playoffs — but the Magic are not going to move Howard before the All-Star Game (Feb. 26) and maybe not after.
But while their teams may not be talking, Kobe and Howard are, the Times adds.
Kobe Bryant has had at least one in-depth phone conversation with Howard recently, even discussing how Howard might fit in with the Lakers’ scheme.
One person with knowledge of the conversation said Howard came away feeling as if he wouldn’t be the Lakers’ top option, for obvious reasons. It’s Bryant’s team.
Still that may be better than the Magic’s other options. The Nets offer centers around Brook Lopez and picks, but Howard is reportedly soured on that as the Nets are not a playoff team this season (and even a Howard trade would not be in time to pull them into the top eight in the East). The Dallas Mavericks are on Howard’s list but they don’t have good trade assets either, that likely would be an off-season move if it were to happen. The Clippers popped up as a rumor lately but a package based around D’Andre Jordan and Mo Williams is less attractive than the Nets offer.
Maybe another suitor will jump in with a “rent-a-Howard” offer the Magic like (a team where Howard may not sign an extension that is willing to take the risk). Or, maybe Orlando just keeps him.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18