Derrick Rose officially out Friday, talks about toe injury

Jan 20, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT

Derrick Rose, Leandro Barbosa AP

UPDATE 6:53 pm: The Chicago Bulls have made official what we expected, Derrick Rose will sit out Friday night’s game in Cleveland with his toe injury. Don’t be shocked if he misses another game or two.

Guys are missing more games with these minor injuries this season due to the compacted schedule. Thanks again, lockout!

12:44 pm: Derrick Rose sat out shootaround on Friday and while it’s not official yet (he will test it in warm ups), don’t expect him to suit up Friday night against Kyrie Irving and the Cleveland Cavaliers, reports Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.

Rose and the Bulls have talked about this injury about as much as NFL teams do this time of year.

But Rose opened up a bit to reporters on Friday, saying this was similar to but worse than the turf toe that bothered him at points last season.

“It’s exactly what it is. I wasn’t able to be on my toe in three years, so when that happened, it bent it and it aggravated it, and I played on it sooner than when I was supposed to play on it and it was real bad,” he said. “This is kind of worse than my second season. My second season, I just played through it, but it wasn’t that bad and not being able to be on my toe in three years, and someone put all their weight on my toe, it definitely hurt it.”

After the injury first happened Rose played 40 minutes a night in a back-to-back against Boston and Toronto last week. Any regrets?

“A little regret, but it just comes with basketball,” he said. “Injuries are going to happen. That’s why I always get treatment and I always see my trainer.”

So regrets, he has a few, but too few to mention. Very Sinatra of him.

The Bulls next game is Saturday against Charlotte.

1. southbeachtalent - Jan 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM

If this were a LeBron injury you clowns would be attributing it to Karma..

What did Rose do to deserve this Karma?

2. asublimeday - Jan 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’ve got tickets for the 30th a$$whipping of the wizards. Just get healthy for that game, Derek.

3. asublimeday - Jan 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Rose is a hometown hero who has never been anything but a humble, loyal star. He gives it his all every night an plays well in the fourth quarter. He isn’t afraid to carry his team and is willing to accept blame when it doesn’t work out.

He is the opposite of James. Karma for Rose would be winning another 6 for the bulls. Karma for James would be getting hit in the groin as hard as possible with a basketball every day for the rest of his life.

• southbeachtalent - Jan 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!

you guys are great. 4th quarter, home town hero, humble, loyal star. Ahhhh it never gets old with you dummies.

4. brooklynbulls - Jan 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM

@ asublimeday…..You can’t reason with a moron. Southbeach was doing just fine arguing with himself. His post only serves as bait for someone to join him in his insanity.

Derrick’s play speaks for itself. We all know how great he is.

• florida727 - Jan 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM

The problem with arguing against an idiot *read: “southbeachtalent”) is that he’ll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience :)

5. jimeejohnson - Jan 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Rose and James have a lot in common, but the biggest thing they share, they share with Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony : none of these guys has ever won an NBA championship. I believe one of them will, this season, except for Melo. Note that Rondo has won a championship, but he won’t win one this year unless he is traded.

6. dadawg77 - Jan 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM

The Bulls won by 40 so there wasnt any need to have Rose play. Let him sit and rest while the Bulls play the scrub teams.

7. glink123 - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Rose and his $250 million dollar Adidas contract, and his $100 million dollar Bulls contract say all they need to say to LeBwan. $350 million by the age of 23. Doing it right.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches