Jan 20, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:53 pm: The Chicago Bulls have made official what we expected, Derrick Rose will sit out Friday night’s game in Cleveland with his toe injury. Don’t be shocked if he misses another game or two.
Guys are missing more games with these minor injuries this season due to the compacted schedule. Thanks again, lockout!
12:44 pm: Derrick Rose sat out shootaround on Friday and while it’s not official yet (he will test it in warm ups), don’t expect him to suit up Friday night against Kyrie Irving and the Cleveland Cavaliers, reports Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
Rose and the Bulls have talked about this injury about as much as NFL teams do this time of year.
But Rose opened up a bit to reporters on Friday, saying this was similar to but worse than the turf toe that bothered him at points last season.
“It’s exactly what it is. I wasn’t able to be on my toe in three years, so when that happened, it bent it and it aggravated it, and I played on it sooner than when I was supposed to play on it and it was real bad,” he said. “This is kind of worse than my second season. My second season, I just played through it, but it wasn’t that bad and not being able to be on my toe in three years, and someone put all their weight on my toe, it definitely hurt it.”
After the injury first happened Rose played 40 minutes a night in a back-to-back against Boston and Toronto last week. Any regrets?
“A little regret, but it just comes with basketball,” he said. “Injuries are going to happen. That’s why I always get treatment and I always see my trainer.”
So regrets, he has a few, but too few to mention. Very Sinatra of him.
The Bulls next game is Saturday against Charlotte.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14