Jan 20, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
The conventional wisdom has been that if the Nets could not land another star to join Deron Williams in New Jersey this season or Brooklyn next season, he would opt out this summer — crushing the Nets franchise that gave up a lot to get him — and heading to his hometown of Dallas next year.
But there’s more than that on the table, including a couple of teams that need a point guard, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Deron Williams’ first choice is to stay with the Nets and to build something special in Brooklyn, but if it doesn’t work out with his current team, his short list of desirable destinations includes the Mavericks, the Knicks and the Lakers, according to sources close to the situation.
The Nets are not going to trade Williams during the season, they gave up a lot to get him. Their goal is to land Dwight Howard, via trade or free agency. If that fails they may be forced to sign-and-trade Williams, but depending on how fast the Magic move we could be well into the summer before that happens.
The Knicks and Lakers are two teams who certainly need a point guard. The challenge is that both do not have the cap space to sign him, it would have to be a sign-and-trade with the Nets, who may not want to play along. Even if they do, we’re talking about the Knicks or Lakers giving up a big star to go back — Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire, Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol or the like. Neither team may be willing to pay that steep a price.
Smart money says he opens the new building in Brooklyn or he moves back home to Dallas. But there is a list now.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20