Jan 20, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
The conventional wisdom has been that if the Nets could not land another star to join Deron Williams in New Jersey this season or Brooklyn next season, he would opt out this summer — crushing the Nets franchise that gave up a lot to get him — and heading to his hometown of Dallas next year.
But there’s more than that on the table, including a couple of teams that need a point guard, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Deron Williams’ first choice is to stay with the Nets and to build something special in Brooklyn, but if it doesn’t work out with his current team, his short list of desirable destinations includes the Mavericks, the Knicks and the Lakers, according to sources close to the situation.
The Nets are not going to trade Williams during the season, they gave up a lot to get him. Their goal is to land Dwight Howard, via trade or free agency. If that fails they may be forced to sign-and-trade Williams, but depending on how fast the Magic move we could be well into the summer before that happens.
The Knicks and Lakers are two teams who certainly need a point guard. The challenge is that both do not have the cap space to sign him, it would have to be a sign-and-trade with the Nets, who may not want to play along. Even if they do, we’re talking about the Knicks or Lakers giving up a big star to go back — Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire, Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol or the like. Neither team may be willing to pay that steep a price.
Smart money says he opens the new building in Brooklyn or he moves back home to Dallas. But there is a list now.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 2
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5