Jan 20, 2012, 4:41 PM EST
The conventional wisdom has been that if the Nets could not land another star to join Deron Williams in New Jersey this season or Brooklyn next season, he would opt out this summer — crushing the Nets franchise that gave up a lot to get him — and heading to his hometown of Dallas next year.
But there’s more than that on the table, including a couple of teams that need a point guard, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Deron Williams’ first choice is to stay with the Nets and to build something special in Brooklyn, but if it doesn’t work out with his current team, his short list of desirable destinations includes the Mavericks, the Knicks and the Lakers, according to sources close to the situation.
The Nets are not going to trade Williams during the season, they gave up a lot to get him. Their goal is to land Dwight Howard, via trade or free agency. If that fails they may be forced to sign-and-trade Williams, but depending on how fast the Magic move we could be well into the summer before that happens.
The Knicks and Lakers are two teams who certainly need a point guard. The challenge is that both do not have the cap space to sign him, it would have to be a sign-and-trade with the Nets, who may not want to play along. Even if they do, we’re talking about the Knicks or Lakers giving up a big star to go back — Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire, Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol or the like. Neither team may be willing to pay that steep a price.
Smart money says he opens the new building in Brooklyn or he moves back home to Dallas. But there is a list now.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 9
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 8
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5