Jan 20, 2012, 8:25 AM EDT
What you missed while being thankful this wasn’t your fifth grade teacher…
Rockets 90, Hornets 88 (OT): The most entertaining game of the night was the one almost nobody watched. Houston led from the opening tip in large part due to Kevin Martin, who had 27 first half points.
Houston was in control the entire way until they came apart in the fourth quarter — the Rockets shot 3-21 overall (14 percent) and 0-8 from beyond the arc, which allowed the comeback. Houston’s defense was good, New Orleans only had 19 fourth-quarter points, but it was enough to erase a 12-point lead as Houston only scored 7 points in the quarter. At the final buzzer, New Orleans’ Jason Smith got a good look at the game winner in regulation, a 16-foot jumper, but it rattled out.
The overtime saw New Orleans jumped out to the lead because Jarrett Jack was carving people up. But then he started doing his Kobe in isolation imitation and soon it was tied again.
With the Hornets looking to get their final shot off in OT, Courtney Lee made a steal, Martin picked it up and pushes the pace back the other way but misses transition layup — only to have Samuel Dalembert follow for the game-winning dunk.
Mavericks 94, Jazz 91: Dallas seemed in control of this one until a 17-4 third quarter Utah run sparked by Maverick turnovers and Al Jefferson made this a close one that stayed that way pretty much the rest of the way. Down the stretch it was Shawn Marion doing the work for Dallas (22 points on the night) as the Mavs went after the mismatch and C.J. Miles couldn’t stop him. Rodrigue Beaubois had 17 points and looked like that guy we expect to see.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16