Jan 19, 2012, 10:11 AM EST
Just do not underestimate Danny Ainge’s willingness to blow the whole thing up.
It’s not that he wants to blow up this Celtics roster — he’s giving the team a chance right now to prove they can do it — but we are all influenced by our past, and Ainge’s past includes how the Celtics held on to its big three core too long at the end of the 1980s. Something it took the franchise a long time to overcome. He told the Boston Globe about that experience.
“I sat with Red [Auerbach] during a Christmas party [20 years ago]. Red was talking to Larry (Bird), Kevin (McHale), and myself, and there was a lot of trade discussion at the time, and Red actually shared some of the trade discussions. And I told Red, ‘What are you doing? Why are you waiting?’
“He had a chance to trade Larry [to Indiana] for Chuck Person and Herb Williams and [Steve] Stipanovich, and he had a chance to trade Kevin [to Dallas] for Detlef Schrempf and Sam Perkins. I was, like, ‘Are you kidding?’
“I mean, I feel that way now. If I were presented with those kinds of deals for our aging veterans, it’s a done deal, to continue the success.”
He says he has not gotten those kinds of offers yet, that in a larger NBA more teams are trying to rebuild and it’s harder to get young players for aging veterans.
But don’t think that if the Celtics are a .500 or worse team a month from now he would not blow this thing sky high. He would.
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 4
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 1
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 12
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 6
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)