Jan 19, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
At the end of this season the Blazers will once again have to make a major decision regarding their backcourt, as Felton is in the last year of his current deal and is set to become a free agent.
Felton readily lets it be known if the decision were up to him, he would be donning a Trail Blazers uniform over the long term.
“They [Blazers officials] know I want to be here,” Felton told HOOPSWORLD. “I’ve told them that and we talked about it earlier in the summer so they know that already. I love it here in Portland. I want to be here leading the team. I feel like we have a winning team here, so hopefully we can get something done.”
If Felton wants a long-term deal with the Blazers or any other team, he’s either going to have to take a large pay cut or start playing a lot better. The 27-year old Felton currently has a career-low PER of 10.31, which is well below the league average of 15, his true shooting percentage is an abysmal 41.8%, and his turnover rate is also worse than it has ever been before. And his salary for this season is 7.6 million dollars.
Felton says that adjusting to a new team after the lockout has been tough, but even if he “returns to form” it’s debatable whether he’s worth anywhere near 8 million dollars a year, especially as he gets closer to 30 — the 09-10 season and 10-11 season were the only ones where Felton’s PER was above 15, and he’s never been a particularly efficient scorer, even in Denver’s offense-driven system. It’s understandable that Felton wants some job security going forward, but it’s tougher to understand why any team would want to give Felton a long-term deal that pays anywhere near his current yearly salary.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 62
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31