Jan 19, 2012, 4:47 PM EST
At the end of this season the Blazers will once again have to make a major decision regarding their backcourt, as Felton is in the last year of his current deal and is set to become a free agent.
Felton readily lets it be known if the decision were up to him, he would be donning a Trail Blazers uniform over the long term.
“They [Blazers officials] know I want to be here,” Felton told HOOPSWORLD. “I’ve told them that and we talked about it earlier in the summer so they know that already. I love it here in Portland. I want to be here leading the team. I feel like we have a winning team here, so hopefully we can get something done.”
If Felton wants a long-term deal with the Blazers or any other team, he’s either going to have to take a large pay cut or start playing a lot better. The 27-year old Felton currently has a career-low PER of 10.31, which is well below the league average of 15, his true shooting percentage is an abysmal 41.8%, and his turnover rate is also worse than it has ever been before. And his salary for this season is 7.6 million dollars.
Felton says that adjusting to a new team after the lockout has been tough, but even if he “returns to form” it’s debatable whether he’s worth anywhere near 8 million dollars a year, especially as he gets closer to 30 — the 09-10 season and 10-11 season were the only ones where Felton’s PER was above 15, and he’s never been a particularly efficient scorer, even in Denver’s offense-driven system. It’s understandable that Felton wants some job security going forward, but it’s tougher to understand why any team would want to give Felton a long-term deal that pays anywhere near his current yearly salary.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 0
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 33
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11