Jan 19, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
The Miami Heat won’t have Dwayne Wade tonight against the Lakers, and LeBron James will apparently be a game-time decision, but they may get some help Eddy Curry, who might play in his first game since 2009 tonight: From Yahoo! Sports’ Marc Spears:
It was the last time he played in an NBA game.
Curry has been sidelined for more than two years with weight and conditioning problems that, at their worst, pushed the 6-foot-10 center to close to 400 pounds. Now with the Miami Heat and weighing a “svelte” 295, Curry could make his long-awaited return to the court as soon as Thursday’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers.
“It was humbling, I guess, sitting back not playing, wanting to be there for one reason or another and not being able to be out there,” Curry said recently. “I look at it as a second chance and an opportunity to right this ship.”
Curry, who has shown the ability to be a very good low-post scorer at times in his strange NBA career, has been working with Tim Grover, Michael Jordan’s trainer, and has shed anywhere from 65 to 100 pounds of weight, depending on which report you believe.
Even when Curry was at his best, he was a notoriously poor rebounder, and has never shown much interest in defense. One expects that those things will have to change if he wants to get minutes from Erik Spolestra, who places a high premium on defense and rebounding. Ever since the Heat decided to take a flyer on Curry this off-season, they’ve been adamant that they’re not expecting any miracles from the former #4 overall draft pick. However, the Heat do need some big bodies, especially against teams with as much size up front as the Lakers have, so we’ll see what happens with Eddy Curry’s last chance at NBA relevance.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 13
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8