Jan 19, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
The Miami Heat won’t have Dwayne Wade tonight against the Lakers, and LeBron James will apparently be a game-time decision, but they may get some help Eddy Curry, who might play in his first game since 2009 tonight: From Yahoo! Sports’ Marc Spears:
It was the last time he played in an NBA game.
Curry has been sidelined for more than two years with weight and conditioning problems that, at their worst, pushed the 6-foot-10 center to close to 400 pounds. Now with the Miami Heat and weighing a “svelte” 295, Curry could make his long-awaited return to the court as soon as Thursday’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers.
“It was humbling, I guess, sitting back not playing, wanting to be there for one reason or another and not being able to be out there,” Curry said recently. “I look at it as a second chance and an opportunity to right this ship.”
Curry, who has shown the ability to be a very good low-post scorer at times in his strange NBA career, has been working with Tim Grover, Michael Jordan’s trainer, and has shed anywhere from 65 to 100 pounds of weight, depending on which report you believe.
Even when Curry was at his best, he was a notoriously poor rebounder, and has never shown much interest in defense. One expects that those things will have to change if he wants to get minutes from Erik Spolestra, who places a high premium on defense and rebounding. Ever since the Heat decided to take a flyer on Curry this off-season, they’ve been adamant that they’re not expecting any miracles from the former #4 overall draft pick. However, the Heat do need some big bodies, especially against teams with as much size up front as the Lakers have, so we’ll see what happens with Eddy Curry’s last chance at NBA relevance.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31