Jan 19, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
The Miami Heat won’t have Dwayne Wade tonight against the Lakers, and LeBron James will apparently be a game-time decision, but they may get some help Eddy Curry, who might play in his first game since 2009 tonight: From Yahoo! Sports’ Marc Spears:
It was the last time he played in an NBA game.
Curry has been sidelined for more than two years with weight and conditioning problems that, at their worst, pushed the 6-foot-10 center to close to 400 pounds. Now with the Miami Heat and weighing a “svelte” 295, Curry could make his long-awaited return to the court as soon as Thursday’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers.
“It was humbling, I guess, sitting back not playing, wanting to be there for one reason or another and not being able to be out there,” Curry said recently. “I look at it as a second chance and an opportunity to right this ship.”
Curry, who has shown the ability to be a very good low-post scorer at times in his strange NBA career, has been working with Tim Grover, Michael Jordan’s trainer, and has shed anywhere from 65 to 100 pounds of weight, depending on which report you believe.
Even when Curry was at his best, he was a notoriously poor rebounder, and has never shown much interest in defense. One expects that those things will have to change if he wants to get minutes from Erik Spolestra, who places a high premium on defense and rebounding. Ever since the Heat decided to take a flyer on Curry this off-season, they’ve been adamant that they’re not expecting any miracles from the former #4 overall draft pick. However, the Heat do need some big bodies, especially against teams with as much size up front as the Lakers have, so we’ll see what happens with Eddy Curry’s last chance at NBA relevance.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30