Jan 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki is not himself this season. Oh, he’s still playing at pretty much an All-Star level, but last season he shot 51.7 percent and this season it has fallen to 45.8 percent. The career 37.9 percent shooter from three is hitting just 25 percent. His shooting percentages on shots inside 10 feet have fallen off, too.
This was basically blown off as rust and Nowitzki admitting he came to camp a little out of shape (understandable after a summer of celebrating a title).
But it is more than that — his right knee is bothering him, Nowitzki admitted to ESPNDallas.com.
“I’m having trouble bending my knees,” said Nowitzki, who has been wearing a protective sleeve over the knee, the same one he sprained last season and caused him to miss nine games. “I’ve just got to get my legs stronger, get my base back. I’ve got to use my legs in my shot and hopefully they’ll come back soon….
“It’s OK, better than it was three weeks ago, so that’s very good,” Nowitzki said. “But, it’s still just stiff and I can’t move the way I want to, but it will be OK. I’m going to keep on working, get a stronger base, get my legs strong where they were in June and hopefully I’ll be back to my normal self.”
Dallas is starting to find its groove this season after a slow start. But if they are going to make any serious run in the playoffs, Nowitzki will need to be at his peak. Or better.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47