Jan 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki is not himself this season. Oh, he’s still playing at pretty much an All-Star level, but last season he shot 51.7 percent and this season it has fallen to 45.8 percent. The career 37.9 percent shooter from three is hitting just 25 percent. His shooting percentages on shots inside 10 feet have fallen off, too.
This was basically blown off as rust and Nowitzki admitting he came to camp a little out of shape (understandable after a summer of celebrating a title).
But it is more than that — his right knee is bothering him, Nowitzki admitted to ESPNDallas.com.
“I’m having trouble bending my knees,” said Nowitzki, who has been wearing a protective sleeve over the knee, the same one he sprained last season and caused him to miss nine games. “I’ve just got to get my legs stronger, get my base back. I’ve got to use my legs in my shot and hopefully they’ll come back soon….
“It’s OK, better than it was three weeks ago, so that’s very good,” Nowitzki said. “But, it’s still just stiff and I can’t move the way I want to, but it will be OK. I’m going to keep on working, get a stronger base, get my legs strong where they were in June and hopefully I’ll be back to my normal self.”
Dallas is starting to find its groove this season after a slow start. But if they are going to make any serious run in the playoffs, Nowitzki will need to be at his peak. Or better.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40