Jan 18, 2012, 11:45 PM EDT
If there is one player the Boston Celtics could not afford to lose this seas0n, it would be Rajon Rondo.
Which is why there were deep breaths taken Rondo took a hard foul by Toronto’s Linas Kleiza with 2:12 left in the third quarter. Rondo — who was in scoring not assist mode all night, finishing with 21 points and 2 assists — was driving the lane for a layup when he took a hard hit from Kleiza, one that caused Rondo to fall awkwardly. His right wrist got caught between himself and the floor. Kleiza was given a flagrant 1 foul for the hit.
Rondo hit one of his two foul shots then walked to the locker room with what was described as a “sore wrist” and did not return to the game.
After the game, Rondo said X-rays on the wrist were negative and said he was day-to-day. The Celtics are off until Friday when they host the Phoenix Suns.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 2
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 13
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 22
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29