Jan 18, 2012, 11:45 PM EST
If there is one player the Boston Celtics could not afford to lose this seas0n, it would be Rajon Rondo.
Which is why there were deep breaths taken Rondo took a hard foul by Toronto’s Linas Kleiza with 2:12 left in the third quarter. Rondo — who was in scoring not assist mode all night, finishing with 21 points and 2 assists — was driving the lane for a layup when he took a hard hit from Kleiza, one that caused Rondo to fall awkwardly. His right wrist got caught between himself and the floor. Kleiza was given a flagrant 1 foul for the hit.
Rondo hit one of his two foul shots then walked to the locker room with what was described as a “sore wrist” and did not return to the game.
After the game, Rondo said X-rays on the wrist were negative and said he was day-to-day. The Celtics are off until Friday when they host the Phoenix Suns.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 15
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 2
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 2
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 24
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9