Jan 18, 2012, 11:45 PM EST
If there is one player the Boston Celtics could not afford to lose this seas0n, it would be Rajon Rondo.
Which is why there were deep breaths taken Rondo took a hard foul by Toronto’s Linas Kleiza with 2:12 left in the third quarter. Rondo — who was in scoring not assist mode all night, finishing with 21 points and 2 assists — was driving the lane for a layup when he took a hard hit from Kleiza, one that caused Rondo to fall awkwardly. His right wrist got caught between himself and the floor. Kleiza was given a flagrant 1 foul for the hit.
Rondo hit one of his two foul shots then walked to the locker room with what was described as a “sore wrist” and did not return to the game.
After the game, Rondo said X-rays on the wrist were negative and said he was day-to-day. The Celtics are off until Friday when they host the Phoenix Suns.
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 0
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 3
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 2
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 12
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 13
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (48)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (37)