Jan 18, 2012, 8:07 AM EDT
After the USA earned a bronze medal in the 2004 Olympics, Mike Krzyzewski was brought in by Jerry Colangelo to help turn things around. He was one coach who is universally respected among players and is seen as kind of “above the fray” of the politics that can go into picking an Olympic team.
The USA won gold in Beijing and will be favorites heading into London this summer. But what happens if Coach K decides to walk away after a decade at the helm? Who should coach Team USA in Brazil in 2016?
“Absolutely,” James said when asked by FOX Sports Florida about that possibility. “He knows the game. He knows the players. And he’s coached enough stars at San Antonio. I think he’d be great (as Olympic coach). If Coach K decides he doesn’t want to do it any more, I think Coach Popovich would be a great candidate. His resume speaks for itself.”
Good luck getting Popovich to speculate on things like that.
“I don’t even think about stuff like that,” Popovich said before a 120-98 loss to the Heat at AmericanAirlines Arena. “I just worry about tonight.”
It’s a long way off and the commitment would have to include the 2014 FIBA World Championships. But it’s not out of the question. And if the goal is to find a coach universally respected by players, you’d be hard pressed to find someone better than Popovich.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 23
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 32
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 5
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31