Jan 18, 2012, 8:07 AM EDT
After the USA earned a bronze medal in the 2004 Olympics, Mike Krzyzewski was brought in by Jerry Colangelo to help turn things around. He was one coach who is universally respected among players and is seen as kind of “above the fray” of the politics that can go into picking an Olympic team.
The USA won gold in Beijing and will be favorites heading into London this summer. But what happens if Coach K decides to walk away after a decade at the helm? Who should coach Team USA in Brazil in 2016?
“Absolutely,” James said when asked by FOX Sports Florida about that possibility. “He knows the game. He knows the players. And he’s coached enough stars at San Antonio. I think he’d be great (as Olympic coach). If Coach K decides he doesn’t want to do it any more, I think Coach Popovich would be a great candidate. His resume speaks for itself.”
Good luck getting Popovich to speculate on things like that.
“I don’t even think about stuff like that,” Popovich said before a 120-98 loss to the Heat at AmericanAirlines Arena. “I just worry about tonight.”
It’s a long way off and the commitment would have to include the 2014 FIBA World Championships. But it’s not out of the question. And if the goal is to find a coach universally respected by players, you’d be hard pressed to find someone better than Popovich.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23