Jan 18, 2012, 10:57 AM EDT
The Spurs players got steamrolled by the Heat in the second half in Miami Tuesday, shooting just 34 percent, putting up 35 points and being outscored by 36 points.
The thumping didn’t stop once they went to the locker room. Here is what coach Gregg Popovich said of his team, via the Express-News Spurs Blog.
“I thought in the second half they got real physical, and I thought we folded,” Popovich said. “The physicality killed us. We had nobody that stepped up. We let the physicality beat us in a lot of different ways — whether it was cuts, or passing or boards. It didn’t matter what it was. Their physicality put us in a ditch.
“They beat our ass in the second half. We should be embarrassed by that, playing that soft.”
This is Popovich, so the point of that rant is motivation going forward. This is a team that needs to do everything right while Manu Ginobili sits to have a chance.
And even then, as last year’s playoffs showed, you can push the Spurs around. He wants his guys to push back, but he may not have the roster that can do it any more.
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 32
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 14
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 20
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 1
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 14