Jan 18, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
So far, not so much. Through 11 games this season, Blake Griffin has gotten a shot attempt as the roll man in the pick-and-roll 29 times — and 22 of those were pick-and-pop jumpers. Just seven times has he gotten the ball rolling to the basket off the pick and taken a shot this season.
Let that sink in a second.
Mark Travis of The Chase Down Block found those numbers — I went to My Synergy Sports to double check because it seemed counterintuitive, and he’s right. While the Clippers have the seventh most efficient offense in the NBA this season, they haven’t figured out how to unleash their most devastating weapon. In an effort to space the floor Griffin spends time on the perimeter rather than in the paint.
This season, Griffin has been floating around on the perimeter way too often. Obviously, any time Griffin doesn’t approach the paint is a win for the defense, which was the case with Amar’e during his days in Phoenix. That said, when Amar’e would shoot the 16-23 footer, he could still burn a defense, as he was an effective 44-48% shooter from that range. Griffin doesn’t have the weapon in his arsenal yet, and he’s actually shooting slightly worse than he did last season from 16-23 feet (33% to 31%) on two more attempts per game (3.1 to 5.1). That’s right, athletic monster Blake Griffin is shooting five mid-range jumpers a night, which is the same amount as Dirk Nowitzki is shooting, but Dirk is making 56% of his.
Chris Paul played for years with pick-and-pop specialist David West, but Griffin is a different player and the two are still working to get on the same page. Griffin has to attack more — he’s worked on that midrange game but it still is not the weapon it needs to be. He needs to be Amar’e or Tyson Chandler. Attack. Right now the Clippers are not playing to their strengths. They are playing into the hands of the defense, who will let Griffin try to beat them from 19 feet all night long.
The Clippers are a work in progress, and still a good offensive team. But when Griffin attacks and he and CP3 learn how to make that work together, they can be much more than good. As can the Clippers.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29