Jan 18, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
We all knew this instinctively, because it’s the only smart choice. Now maybe this rumor can die.
League officials have confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that while Dwight Howard may have interest in them the Clippers are not willing to trade Blake Griffin for Howard — and the Magic are not interested in the Clippers other pieces.
The Magic knows that the Clippers won’t trade Blake Griffin for Howard, and Orlando has no interest in Clippers center DeAndre Jordan, according to the executives.
Jordan and his $10 million-a-year deal would be a big part of any Clippers trade for Howard.
You can make an argument that the Clippers should seriously consider the move because they would be better off with the more complete player that is Howard than the impressive but still a work-in-progress Griffin. Go ahead and argue that until you are blue in the face. Doesn’t matter.
Griffin is the face of the Clippers. He is the guy who almost single handedly changed the culture and fortues of that moribound franchise. Chris Paul does not come to Los Angeles without Griffin. Nobody talks about a budding rivalry with the Lakers without Griffin. Passionate fans don’t sell out Staples Center without Griffin. Donald Sterling and the Clippers know that Griffin is more than just another player for this franchise, he made them hip. Trade him and you anger the fan base immeasurably. Which two years ago would have been impossible because nobody cared.
So stop talking about Howard to the Clippers and let’s get back to the other Howard trade rumors that are not going to happen.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 4
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 9
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14