Jan 18, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
We all knew this instinctively, because it’s the only smart choice. Now maybe this rumor can die.
League officials have confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that while Dwight Howard may have interest in them the Clippers are not willing to trade Blake Griffin for Howard — and the Magic are not interested in the Clippers other pieces.
The Magic knows that the Clippers won’t trade Blake Griffin for Howard, and Orlando has no interest in Clippers center DeAndre Jordan, according to the executives.
Jordan and his $10 million-a-year deal would be a big part of any Clippers trade for Howard.
You can make an argument that the Clippers should seriously consider the move because they would be better off with the more complete player that is Howard than the impressive but still a work-in-progress Griffin. Go ahead and argue that until you are blue in the face. Doesn’t matter.
Griffin is the face of the Clippers. He is the guy who almost single handedly changed the culture and fortues of that moribound franchise. Chris Paul does not come to Los Angeles without Griffin. Nobody talks about a budding rivalry with the Lakers without Griffin. Passionate fans don’t sell out Staples Center without Griffin. Donald Sterling and the Clippers know that Griffin is more than just another player for this franchise, he made them hip. Trade him and you anger the fan base immeasurably. Which two years ago would have been impossible because nobody cared.
So stop talking about Howard to the Clippers and let’s get back to the other Howard trade rumors that are not going to happen.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 6
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10