Jan 16, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Things are not going well for Lamar Odom, on or off the court. Things were bad enough off the court he considered taking a year off — and that was before the Lakers tried to trade him. It was his wife Khloe Kardashian that encouraged him to get back out there.
Off the court issues reflected on the court with him not being mentally or physically ready for the start of the season. The man who was the sixth man of the year last season is averaging just 6.8 points per game. His PER has gone from a borderline All-Star 19.4 to a D-League level 7.4.
Now, Monday night, he heads back to the Staples Center to take on the Lakers.
“He told me just to be strong and get myself together and get myself in that place mentally where I can use basketball as my sanctuary,” Odom said. “He said relearn to do that through meditation and other forms to get to a place where you kind of leave everything else behind and focus on the now, the moment. And that’s what I have to work on in order to put myself in a place where I can go out here and actually play the game like I used to play it.”
When people talk about how coaching at the professional level is really about managing people more than Xs and Os, this is example No. 1. Odom is a guy who thrives when he feels comfortable and accepted, so the Lakers trying to trade him (even for Chris Paul) hurt him. He didn’t want to go back, but then there is a whole new period of adaption in Dallas that is still going on.
Phil Jackson was a master at reading people and helping them get what they needed, so that basketball could be just about basketball. He is easy to play for that way. Rick Carlisle is certainly a good coach as well, but he is just learning about Odom. And learning the hard way at times.
But as Dallas starts to win and Odom starts to get comfortable, his versatility is really going to help that team.
Going back to the Staples Center… we’ll see how he deals with that.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday 0
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 8
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 7
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 16
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)