Jan 16, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Things are not going well for Lamar Odom, on or off the court. Things were bad enough off the court he considered taking a year off — and that was before the Lakers tried to trade him. It was his wife Khloe Kardashian that encouraged him to get back out there.
Off the court issues reflected on the court with him not being mentally or physically ready for the start of the season. The man who was the sixth man of the year last season is averaging just 6.8 points per game. His PER has gone from a borderline All-Star 19.4 to a D-League level 7.4.
Now, Monday night, he heads back to the Staples Center to take on the Lakers.
“He told me just to be strong and get myself together and get myself in that place mentally where I can use basketball as my sanctuary,” Odom said. “He said relearn to do that through meditation and other forms to get to a place where you kind of leave everything else behind and focus on the now, the moment. And that’s what I have to work on in order to put myself in a place where I can go out here and actually play the game like I used to play it.”
When people talk about how coaching at the professional level is really about managing people more than Xs and Os, this is example No. 1. Odom is a guy who thrives when he feels comfortable and accepted, so the Lakers trying to trade him (even for Chris Paul) hurt him. He didn’t want to go back, but then there is a whole new period of adaption in Dallas that is still going on.
Phil Jackson was a master at reading people and helping them get what they needed, so that basketball could be just about basketball. He is easy to play for that way. Rick Carlisle is certainly a good coach as well, but he is just learning about Odom. And learning the hard way at times.
But as Dallas starts to win and Odom starts to get comfortable, his versatility is really going to help that team.
Going back to the Staples Center… we’ll see how he deals with that.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 18
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 19
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4