Jan 16, 2012, 1:05 PM EST
When you think of athletes like LeBron James, Tim Tebow probably isn’t the first guy that comes to mind.
But LeBron James sees some similarities and relates to him, he told Chris Tomasson of FoxSportsFlorida.com. And stop with the “losing in the playoffs” jokes, that’s not what he meant.
“I can relate to him a lot,” said James, who like Tebow, is one of the most talked-about athletes anywhere. “I see how the media plays it sometimes and how the critics go at him and to see him continue to prove them wrong. If it’s a good game or a bad game on his part, he continues to stay positive and move forward. And that’s a great sign. It’s a great leader. You respect that no matter if you’re in that same sport or not….
“I’m one of those guys who has been in those shoes before, as well. . . I understood a lot of what he’s going through, what he went through, and it’s good to see him success(ful) now. You want to see greatness, you always want to see guys succeed — especially when people count you out from Day 1. That’s what I love about him. I always tweet about him.”
LeBron and Tebow have met, they are both endorsers of Nike.
I’m not sure people counted out LeBron the way they counted out Tebow. There were questions if Tebow could ever be an effective NFL quarterback, he has proven that he can win games. LeBron was an anointed golden child from his sophomore year of high school and the question was only really how high could he go, could he fully realize his potential? We’re still asking that.
But there is something to be said for relating to other guys under the microscope. Hard to imagine what it is like unless you’ve been there, and LeBron has certainly been there.
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 13
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 27
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 19
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 9
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 20
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4
- Report: Chris Mullin doesn’t want to jump in mid-season to coach Kings 3
- Shane Larkin, a second thought as Knicks chase star free agents, trying to find his own way 1