Jan 16, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT
Pop quiz: How many players out of the 2008 NBA draft have gotten the early extensions to their rookie deals as of now?
Answer: One. Derrick Rose.
That could change a little over the next 10 days — Jan. 25 is the deadline to do an early extension — but only a little.
As David Aldridge points out at NBA.com, the trend in recent seasons of few rookies getting early extensions to their max deals remains.
At the moment, only a handful of players — Minnesota’s Kevin Love, Denver’s Danilo Gallinari and Oklahoma City’s Russell Westbrook — are even in the hunt to get deals, though several players’ agents are engaged, or will soon engage, in conversations with their respective teams. But so far, no one’s betting on the come for an Eric Gordon, or a Roy Hibbert, or a JaVale McGee. There’s always someone that gets a deal below the radar, as when Phoenix’s Jared Dudley got a five-year, $22.5 million extension last year….
Last year, only five of the 30 first-round picks in the 2007 class got extensions: Kevin Durant (five years, $85 million), Atlanta center Al Horford (five years, $60 million), Grizzlies guard Mike Conley (five years, $40 million) Bulls center Joakim Noah (five years, $60 million) and Dudley. That was one fewer extension than the 2006 class…
“No one wants to set the market,” a team executive texted Sunday night. “They would rather wait and try and let the guy get a deal and match. Also make sure the guy doesn’t get hurt.”
Teams are being cautious, the lockout is part of that but teams should be careful. How many players out of the first 30 in 2008 would you really want to lock in long term? Rose for sure, and I would say Love and Westbrook should get deals as well. I’d give Danilo Gallinari a deal if I thought the price were fair, same with Nicolas Batum, Serge Ibaka, O.j. Mayo and Hibbert. But after that? No way J.J. Hickson or Brook Lopez or Brandon Rush get locked up — give them a qualifying offer so you can match anything from another team, but why over commit?
A few more will come in the next few days, but that don’t expect to see many.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2