Jan 15, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
O.J. Mayo is moving past last season’s disaster which featured a fist fight on a plane with a teammate, a suspension for PEDs, and the first benching of his since he started playing basketball at the competitive level. He’s played well on and off ball, has been more coachable and has rediscovered his scoring knack.
So naturally, the Grizzlies are looking to trade him.
After talks earlier in the week reported by Yahoo Sports with the Nets, the Memphis Commercial-Appeal is reporting the talks have continued and include multiple offers:
The Nets are interested in acquiring Mayo for salary-cap reasons as they try to clear room to make a run at Orlando center Dwight Howard in the offseason. With that in mind, the Nets have offered fourth-year guard Anthony Morrow for Mayo.
The Nets have also offered point guard Jordan Farmar, a draft pick and cash in a separate package for Mayo.
Morrow fits a great need for the Grizzlies, who have struggled mightily with perimeter shooting. He’s young and on a reasonable contract. A move for Morrow would be pretty reasonable.
The Grizzlies also need a backup point guard as Jeremy Pargo is growing through expected growing pains. But Farmar has a limited ceiling and his relative value isn’t equal to that of Mayo, even with the pick (and the cash).
It’s clear that Mayo’s improved play has not convinced the Grizzlies to keep him. He’s due for his big payday coming off his rookie deal and with huge contracts paid to Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, Mike Conley, and Zach Randolph, there’s just not room. Getting something for him is important. But you would think there would be better pieces than supporting players one one of the truly worst teams in the league. But Morrow at least has good scoring ability and length. We’ll see if they pull the trigger.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49