Jan 15, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Tom Thibodeau won 62 games in his first season as Chicago’s head coach. He won Coach of the Year. He took his team to the Eastern Conference Finals. So naturally, the Bulls are taking their time agreeing to an extension with him. And now, there’s a report from New York that he’s not super-thrilled with how long it’s taking. From the New York Daily News:
What’s taking the Bulls so long to say that they’re going to pick up the option on Tom Thibodeau’s contract for next season? According to team sources, last year’s Coach of the Year is not very happy that the team hasn’t discussed his future. Nor should he be.
I suppose there are a few reasons why the Bulls would wait. The Coach of the Year curse, being one. His success only having manifested itself a year being another. And the fact that the offense was at times horrid last season and that he was badly outcoached in the Eastern Conference Finals, and honestly, struggled in all three rounds of the playoffs probably may deserve a tap of the brakes.
You’d think the Bulls would have seen enough to say he’s their guy. Oh, well, not like the Bulls have a long-standing history of trouble with coaches. Oh, wait.
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 5
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 32
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 58
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11