Jan 15, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Tom Thibodeau won 62 games in his first season as Chicago’s head coach. He won Coach of the Year. He took his team to the Eastern Conference Finals. So naturally, the Bulls are taking their time agreeing to an extension with him. And now, there’s a report from New York that he’s not super-thrilled with how long it’s taking. From the New York Daily News:
What’s taking the Bulls so long to say that they’re going to pick up the option on Tom Thibodeau’s contract for next season? According to team sources, last year’s Coach of the Year is not very happy that the team hasn’t discussed his future. Nor should he be.
I suppose there are a few reasons why the Bulls would wait. The Coach of the Year curse, being one. His success only having manifested itself a year being another. And the fact that the offense was at times horrid last season and that he was badly outcoached in the Eastern Conference Finals, and honestly, struggled in all three rounds of the playoffs probably may deserve a tap of the brakes.
You’d think the Bulls would have seen enough to say he’s their guy. Oh, well, not like the Bulls have a long-standing history of trouble with coaches. Oh, wait.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 0
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 16
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 11
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 9
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'