Jan 14, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
Danny Granger is good to his word.
From the Indianapolis Star:
Indiana Pacers forward Danny Granger will host the dinner he tweeted about during the NBA lockout. Sunday’s event at Bankers Life Fieldhouse is for many of the part-time employees who did not get paid from July 1 until Nov. 26.
“The plan was for this to take place somewhere in Indianapolis if the lockout continued,” Granger said in a statement from the team.
“Once that was resolved, it was obvious the fieldhouse was the only logical place to do this and then, with the condensed schedule, finding a date.”
“I wanted to do something for these unsung workers and for the sacrifices they were making with lost income. Now, it’s the best of everything, the team stepped in to help, we’re playing, they are back making this the best place to come to in the NBA, and we can get together for some food and fun.”
You can’t say enough about Granger here. During a bitterly divided lockout, instead of just focusing on himself, Granger extended something to people who were really financially hurt by the lockout. And when the lockout was unexpectedly resolved before, you know, 2014, Granger still went ahead and planned this as a thank you to people.
The fact that the Pacers bought into it just makes the story that much better. There are still a lot of negative feelings between the two sides over what happened those long, dark summer months, but something like this helps to take the sting off of it.
Huge props to Granger for coming through with this. Just a stand-up move.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 2
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 36
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73