Jan 14, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
From Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida after Miami’s Friday night loss to the Nuggets:
One problem, Boshness. You’re not.
I had held the same belief as Bosh right up until Friday night. There are certainly qualifiers. The Heat played a brutal three-games-in-four-nights set. Overtime in Golden State, then a back-to-back against the Clippers in Los Angeles, a day off and then playing in Denver’s altitude. Dwyane Wade suffered a sprained ankle and had already been dealing with other injuries. But these excuses don’t change the real make up of the game, which was that Denver, a phenomenal team in its own right, simply out-executed the Heat all game long.
Gone is the improved offensive flow we saw in the first week of the season. Gone are the defensive rotations predicting where the ball would go and cutting off angles. Gone is the energy, gone are the highlights, gone are the league’s best record.
Meanwhile, the Chicago Bulls absolutely plastered the Boston Celtics on their home floor Friday night. Much will be made of the Celtics’ comeback but in reality, the Bulls got complacent, the Celtics caught up for a minute… and then the Bulls ran them out of the building again, behind Derrick Rose‘s brilliance. The Bulls have had the most dominating performance of the season since an opening week set of struggles. This doesn’t mean that over the long run of the season, the Heat won’t prove to be better. This certainly doesn’t mean that the Bulls will best the Heat in the playoffs.
But as for right now, the Heat aren’t the best team in the league. Not even close.
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 1
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16