Jan 14, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
From Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida after Miami’s Friday night loss to the Nuggets:
One problem, Boshness. You’re not.
I had held the same belief as Bosh right up until Friday night. There are certainly qualifiers. The Heat played a brutal three-games-in-four-nights set. Overtime in Golden State, then a back-to-back against the Clippers in Los Angeles, a day off and then playing in Denver’s altitude. Dwyane Wade suffered a sprained ankle and had already been dealing with other injuries. But these excuses don’t change the real make up of the game, which was that Denver, a phenomenal team in its own right, simply out-executed the Heat all game long.
Gone is the improved offensive flow we saw in the first week of the season. Gone are the defensive rotations predicting where the ball would go and cutting off angles. Gone is the energy, gone are the highlights, gone are the league’s best record.
Meanwhile, the Chicago Bulls absolutely plastered the Boston Celtics on their home floor Friday night. Much will be made of the Celtics’ comeback but in reality, the Bulls got complacent, the Celtics caught up for a minute… and then the Bulls ran them out of the building again, behind Derrick Rose‘s brilliance. The Bulls have had the most dominating performance of the season since an opening week set of struggles. This doesn’t mean that over the long run of the season, the Heat won’t prove to be better. This certainly doesn’t mean that the Bulls will best the Heat in the playoffs.
But as for right now, the Heat aren’t the best team in the league. Not even close.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4